Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could these 1,400-year-old figurines be evidence of an Iron Age cult?  (Read 4879 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 29, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »

Caveat: Please take some of the dating here with a pinch of salt - a case of lazy jounalism, but an interesting read nontheless - Neil

By Victoria Woollaston

Nestled beneath a stretch of earth in a quiet Swedish village, archaeologists have uncovered a treasure trove of hand-carved figurines.

No less than 29 of these so-called guldgubbars, which means 'Gold Old Men', were unearthed in the southern region of Blekinge and each are thought to have been made using 6th Century Roman coins.  Huh

The figurines are most commonly found at sites of ritual and worship as devotions to the gods, and because they were discovered alongside the ruins of houses and a forge, archaeologists now believe the area may have been home to an Iron Age cult.

No less than 29 so-called guldgubbars, pictured, were unearthed in the southern region of Blekinge in Sweden. Each of the figurines are around two centimetres tall and were made using 6th Century Roman coins hammered into the elaborate shapes
‘Without a doubt, the place was important during the Iron Age for several hundred years,’ said lead archaeologist Mikael Henriksson.

‘Clearly, we can start a new chapter in the study of the Blekinge Iron Age.’

The hoard of gold, said to be one of the largest discoveries of guldgubbar in the whole of Sweden, was found during excavations of the site being carried out by the Blekinge Museum.

Each of the figurines is thought to date back to the 6th century AD and each measure two centimetres tall.

Guldgubbars are also known as Gold Old Men or Gold Wives because they are shaped like men, pictured left, and women, right. They're commonly associated with places or political or religious significance and are thought to have been created as gifts for the gods in certain cults

The figurines were found at a site in the west of Vang, a village in Blekinge, pictured, on the south coast of Sweden. Researchers have suspected the area was an Iron Age settlement for some time since finding a 3rd century bronze bust in the same region back in 2004, and more recently, unearthing the ruins of houses

‘The discovery of gold from this period shows that people in the area served as soldiers in the Roman Army,' said Björn Nilsson, of Södertörn University College.

‘Up here in the Nordic countries the gold coins that had been paid to the soldiers were melted down and formed into guldgubbar and guldkoner.'

Guldkoner refers to the female figurines, also known as Gold Wives.

The theory about the site being an Iron Age settlement were bolstered by the discovery of glass beads and other bronze household items as well as pottery, animal bones and clay.
‘Gold Old men are most commonly found at sites associated with power or religious rites,’ continued Henriksson.

‘Maybe the site has been used as a place of worship but as yet we can only speculate.
‘What we now know about the place is that it was a certainly a settlement in the Iron Age.’
IRON AGE CULTS: WHY BELKINGE COULD HAVE BEEN A PLACE OF WORSHIP

The discovery of the gold figurines, alongside bronze busts and signs that a community once lived in the region, has led archaeologists to believe an Iron Age cult once lived in the area.
Guldgubbars, also known as Gold Old Men or Gold Wives, are commonly associated with places or political or religious significance.
They were made from coins, in this instance given to local residents who were soldiers of the Roman Army, and hammered into the shapes of clothed men and women.

Hoards of objects such as these, as well as the bronze objects found in the same region, may have been buried as gifts to the gods.

Metal during the Bronze and Iron Age was deemed valuable enough for objects made from it to serve as a sacrifice. 
The vast number of guldgubbars discovered in Vang, said to be the third largest hoard ever found in Sweden, additionally suggests this area could have been a region of great religious significance.

This is bolstered by the various ruins of houses and other findings hinting that a settlement would have been set up in the region and survived for hundreds of years.

..Archaeologists have known for some time the region once held Roman significance. Although Sweden was not part of the Roman Empire, experts have speculated that inhabitants of the region may have been mercenaries for the Roman Army.
Graves of Norse warriors have also been found containing Roman weapons, which reinforces the interaction between the two cultures.
In 2004, researchers uncovered a cast bronze head in the region and believe it represents a Celtic god or goddess.

In 2004, researchers from Belkinge Museum uncovered a cast bronze head, pictured, in the same region as the figurines and believe it to represent a Celtic god or goddess
  More recently, researchers also uncovered five more bronze cast heads. The majority are thought to be of Celtic origin like the one found in 2004 yet two, pictured, were designed differently. Both have Roman features with so-called ‘melon hairstyles’ and date back to 200AD

Interestingly, during the latest round of excavations, researchers uncovered five more of these heads.

The majority are thought to be of Celtic origin yet two were designed differently. Both have Roman features with so-called ‘melon hairstyles’, dating back to 200AD.

It is not known whether the collections of Celtic and Roman figures are linked, although it is unusual that devotional artefacts from two different cultures have been found so close to one another.

It is thought the Roman heads would have been fixed to bronze jugs or drinking vessels.

* article-0-19B2909600000578-445_634x406.jpg (59.34 KB, 634x406 - viewed 572 times.)

* article-0-19B2906500000578-171_634x366.jpg (112.16 KB, 634x366 - viewed 554 times.)

* article-2515008-19B2907D00000578-510_634x379.jpg (45.7 KB, 634x379 - viewed 557 times.)

* article-2515008-19B2906B00000578-485_634x335.jpg (71.57 KB, 634x335 - viewed 562 times.)

* article-2515008-19B2907400000578-352_306x423.jpg (48.64 KB, 306x423 - viewed 604 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »

What a find and an interesting article, though it was ruined by me trying to find the fault with the dates after your warning Grin
What's wrong with them? or am I going mad?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »

1400 years = Iron Age???

Or are they saying that the cult has existed since the Iron Age?

Or did Scandinavia have a different time frame to the rest of Europe?

Kind Regards
Confused in Cardiff
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:46:43 AM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »

Ah! Yes our iron age gets renamed as the Roman era but of course the Romans never went to Scandinavia (seen the price of booze? you can't blame them lol) so their Iron Age (like Ireland) goes on to 800AD and then morphs into the Norse era Wink
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »

Indeed you can't blame them at their price - pesky Romans.

Well I have learnt something new, which makes perfect sense, and I probably always knew, but never thought about.

I was aware the Romans never made it to Scandinavia, but it never crossed my mind what historians refer to the period when we were hanging out in togas as in scandinavia.

Thanks Cheffy.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
It surprised me that even in this country the difference in dates from the East of Britain to the West in "Ages" ie. Bronze age, early, middle and late and then the Iron Age can be as much as 200 years Undecided

Look at the USA it went straight from the Stone Age too the John Wayne Age Wink
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »

Then straight back to stoneage Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

What would we Senior Citizens have done without the John Wayne age.

Grego
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »

You'd still be floundering in the Ronald Colman Age Grin
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

"Get off your horse and drink your milk!"

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »

Grin Grin great thread and a new archaeological period as well "The John Wayne Age " lol

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

Neil, once again, a very interesting read. Thanks for posting. Smiley

Geoff, I read that parts of Wales were up to 300 years behind in the change over from Neolithic to Bronze and then Iron ages. And, of course, over this end Bartering was till the main mode of currency till the 1600's.
 Don't think much has changed   Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »

As far as I've read Val the main trading partner with most of West Wales was Ireland and there too you have wealth measured in horses and cattle rather than the gold they seemed to have in abundance Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 06:09:12 PM »

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing Neil.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal