Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinshooter Rally  (Read 3020 times)
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« on: September 22, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »

Bit of a mixed bag this one but after missing the second day of the Llanwit rally (car failed half way round a roundabout...not to be recommended) I thought I would make the effort.

Went two days early so I could stop in Roman country and pick up a few good coins. Unfortunately the nighthawks had been active and upset both the owner of the camping field and the surrounding farmers so that put a stop to that.
Never mind. Camping from twelve at the rally on the Friday so a chance to get some detecting in on the free ground before the majority turned up on the Saturday. Big mistake...no detecting allowed, not even on the camping field.

Saturday arrived and up came the sun to further bake the concrete hard fields. A few hours later I had two musket balls and a very few bits of non ferrous scrap. No one seemed to be doing that well and there was a lack of the normal bits of lead, buttons etc you would expect. Quite a few packed up and left.
The next day was cooler thank heaven and I mainly stuck to a field that had been ploughed and rolled as my leg was falling off with trying to dig the one productive spot I had found the day before.

I ended up with a couple of Roman coins (one silver but well worn), my usual few Viccy silvers, and a long cross hammered with good detail but a crack. Two coins in bags !!! One cupro halfcrown/one crown and two small prizes.

Being tight I picked up a few pounds in modern cash from by the dealers stalls and the burger bar when they left.

By the end of the weekend there had been a few good finds made including a bent gold hammered but not what I would expect from the number of top machines that worked the site. One interesting thing was the range of detectors in use. Whilst the Welsh rally seemed to be 80% plus Minelab Explorers this rally had the full range of makes and several of the old classics.

I came back in a loop and stopped at a couple of sites. Each produced both Roman and hammered plus a nice range from modern coins to old buckles and buttons. So good I returned home, checked the post etc and a couple of days later went back for another three days.

Today, if it ever stops raining, its the Gower for a few more days. Hope a few rings have been left on the beaches !
crashland

Garrett Ace 250 user.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »

Blimey Brian, I thought that was going to be a complete washout for you. Glad to see you had some luck in the end though. Well done on your finds mate. Any piccies?

Crash out!
romano-brit

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

yep sounds good, but can we see sum pics?

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »

Will do some photos and post. Unfortunately I had one of our American cousins to stay and it was none stop detecting followed by none stop drinking. I can't take it any more.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal