Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: llantwit major  (Read 8373 times)
jondav

« on: October 20, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »

any body tried llantwit beach, is it worth a try,anyone made any good finds there. it should begood as it was a roman port at one time and into the middle ages
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

If its as good as the fields around the town give it a go Jondav.
melonhead

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »

i went there a few months ago for awalk but put tne detector in the car but there was no sand left on the beach just big pebbles so i gave it a miss but if you go post how you get on
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »

JonDAV  I tried the Beach last spring, its full of aluminium where the pebbles are grinding the cans down, from the carpark if you walk to the left its all bed rock and fossils. To the right away from the carpark you may have better luck.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
1morecoin
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

Living in Llantwit Major and fishing the beach for the last 32 years has given me plenty of time to study the beach, when i took up metal detecting ten years ago my first port of call was going to be Llantwit beach, i purchased the Minelab Sovereign especially for this, but i still have not detected the beach, probably due to my hatred of masses of people, or the fact that i cannot get any enthusiasm to get up early and detect the beaches when the hoard of zombies are still in bed. I have researched the beach and my findings are quite interesting.

Don't bother detecting up close to the car park unless the surface has been dragged away as this area is full of shredded tins ( as Rob stated earlier) there are rings and goodies to be had here but you have to wait for the right conditions, the other side with the sand is much the same, to the right the clay is close to the surface so could be worth persevering. I have seen a detectorist take coins and jewellery from these areas about 12 years ago, this was after the diggers had scraped and levelled the area.

But the best place for detecting would be out on the front towards the low tide mark where the two big pools are as this is where most of the shipwrecks broke up, there is a thin layer of pebbles on top of clay so the finds will be close to the surface. I saw a detectorist out on the front of the beach about 20 years ago, he was down by the low tide mark between the pools, i watched him for a while and waited for him to make his way back to the car park, when i approached him i told him that i was interested in metal detecting and asked him if he had found anything of interest, he replied just the usual stuff and a few coins, he pulled out a handfull of coins and i noticed a thin dark coin which at the time meant nothing to me, but i now know was probably a shilling of Charles Ist or James the Ist, but the best find was a full Sovereign of Victoria which he pulled from his pocket, which was in
excellent condition, and he had found it in one of the big pools.

The harbour that Rob mentions did exist but is further out on the beach, the Roman part has still got the dressed stone in a broken line, i found this a good few years ago when i was crabbing, this is over to the left of the car park, the medieval part has the posts still visible out on the front of the beach, this is called the Black Boys as the posts are still visible sticking out of the rocks and they are black with age.

The two pools on the front are interesting as the right hand side pool turned up a huge medieval anchor about 27 years ago which took a group of men two weeks to get it to the car park where it remained for a number of years before dissapearing.
You also have the fact that half the Iron age hill fort up on the cliff has erroded into the sea leaving Iron Age and Roman finds waiting to be found, this is over to the left.

I must add that you need a permit to detect on Llantwit Major beach which costs £10
Cheques can be made payable to 1morecoin  Grin

waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »

Brilliant post good sir. You live in a area that is full of history and observations like this will lead to good finds mate.Just got to get out of bed.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
jondav

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »

thanks 1morecoin,your info was very helpful
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »

well done steve a good bit of info there mate  Wink right next trip llantwit major beech Cheesy

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
150aceboy
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »

Well done 1morecoin Wink , an excellent  account on Llantwit Major beach, GREAT Stuff  Wink Wink
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »

Nice one Steve - a cracking summary of the beacn mate.  I think from what you hgave said there are plenty of goodies to be had there.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Terry

I WANT TO FIND MORE PULL TABS

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:38 PM »

Do you take monopoly money,
nice write up
Terry Kiwi
1morecoin
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Any form of cash will do, i also do guided tours for the right price Grin
sandpiper

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »

Hi
Great post 1morecoin - Ive tried llantwit many years ago with no luck - two other sites worth looking at are Newton (porthcawl) which was a landing place and port and ABERTHAW - the busiest port in the vale for centuries before Cardiff and Barry were developed there must be something thereabouts on the foreshore -and the best thing is its very quiet there  i tried it once many years ago, again with no luck but who knows trade and ships = losses ,has anyone  tried Aberthaw? maybe worth a look.

you have to believe it to achieve it !!
paologray
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 06:08:17 PM »

Im grew up in Llantwit major!

Never knew we had such varied history... well I did but just ignored it!
betel23

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »

Im grew up in Llantwit major!

Never knew we had such varied history... well I did but just ignored it!

Never mind we still like you.... Grin
Just kiddin!!!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal