Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Todays farm finds  (Read 2833 times)
Discrim-Me

Everybody in its spitting

« on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »

Dug this lot today at the farm, found the pound coins in the small garden at the side of the farm house and the rest i found in one of the top fields literally just down one edge of the field. The brass horse buckle is my fave, dunno what the other stuff is though,anybody got any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:31:27 PM by Discrim-Me » Logged

You need to have walked in the deepest valley to appreciate the magnificence of standing on the highest mountain.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »

The bit at the bottom is a harness fitting - late 19th to early 20th century.
Discrim-Me

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »

Thanks Doc, just wondered if the round thing in the top left could be a spindle whorl?

You need to have walked in the deepest valley to appreciate the magnificence of standing on the highest mountain.
carling

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »

nope think its a nut, spindle whorls are made of lead,
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »

No, not a spindle whorl, unfortunately, it's a degraded nut. The buckle if off a harness and the harness fitting is probably a makers name plate.
The more fields you do you will come to realise that all fields seem to have a dumping area, usually the corners.
Well done on the coins. Next time you go ask if they used to have an orchard, might produce some older coppers that you might be able to I.D. and date.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Discrim-Me

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »

Heh one thing i did notice, everything was quite deep, Shocked  me backs killin me   Roll Eyes

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »

yes but think of the fun you've had  Grin well done D M

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Discrim-Me

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:54 AM »

Best thing is my teenage daughter spent the afternoon with me she was the appointed pinpointer she really enjoyed it. Grin

Drivertess

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »

Dug this lot today at the farm, found the pound coins in the small garden at the side of the farm house and the rest i found in one of the top fields literally just down one edge of the field. The brass horse buckle is my fave, dunno what the other stuff is though,anybody got any ideas?

I detect on a Farm and have found that speaking to the farmer about the history of the farm and the locals is rewarding. I follow the public footpaths that have been there for many years and also the farmer informed me of a stream that used to pass through where the lakes are now and this area has been very rewarding. It is also useful to find out what the fields have been used for as with the ploughed fields you will find a lot of stuff that is deep. There is always a part of the field that has been used to dump stuff over the years and I have found these to be near gates. Another thing I have also found in the fields is spent coal that looks like coke (the coal form) and these give a good signal and are supposedly from the old steam tractors.There is a pub nearby and my most rewarding day when I found my silver I took a direct line from the pub area to the gates at the bottom of the field. If your intention is to detect the whole field it may be of use to use markers, there is a field I am doing this with and use small flags on stakes so I know where I was on my last trip.

You could find an old map online of the area and look especially for paths between farms and the old throughfares and follow these this works as well. I haven't found anything fantastic but have found many older coins back to George II some old silver coins, stacks of livery buttons and £90 in new currency and I am a relitively new detectorist with just a starter machine.

Hops this helps and well done with the finds Smiley
Discrim-Me

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

i know what you mean about the coal/coke from steam engines,i found 3 lumps of it yesterday, i do know there are old public right of ways on the farm that havent been used for a very long time,will get out the maps and see were excatly they are.

alun

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

Nice finds Discrim. Looks like you enjoyed the day well done.
The top two actually are a spacer (not spindlewort) and the pin next to it is a spigot pin what they used to attach trailers or machinery to either tractors, steam or horse drawn.
NIce

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home