Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: i.d for an old lady please  (Read 1497 times)
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« on: September 08, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

Please could someone i.d this coin
for an old lady her husband was
working abroad in the 70s and bought
this coin for a lot of money she said he
has passed on now and she wants to know
about the coin anything would be a help for
her the coin is dated 1780 around the edge
its inscribed with ivstitia et clememtia please do
your best and hopefully we could make an old lady
happy thanks a lot steve Wink

hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

Here's some info on it Steve.

The Maria Theresa thaler (MTT) is a silver bullion-coin that has been used in world trade continuously since it was first minted in 1741. It was named after Empress Maria Theresa, who ruled Austria, Hungary, and Bohemia from 1740 to 1780. In German-speaking countries, following a spelling reform dated 1901 which took effect two years later, "Thaler" is written "Taler" (although the spelling of "Theresia" was not affected because of Greek origin). Hence 20th-century references to this coin in German and Austrian sources are found under "Maria-Theresien-Taler". The spelling in English-speaking countries was not affected.

Since 1780, the coin has always been dated 1780. On September 19, 1857, Emperor Franz Josef I of Austria declared the Maria Theresa Taler to be an official trade coinage. A little over a year later, on October 31, 1858, the Maria Theresa Taler lost its status as currency in Austria.

The following mints have struck MTTs: Birmingham, Bombay, Brussels, London, Paris, Rome and Utrecht, in addition to the Habsburg mints in Günzburg, Hall, Karlsburg, Kremnica, Milan, Prague and Vienna. Between 1751 and 2000, some 389 million were minted. These different mints distinguished their issues by slight alterations to the saltire, or flower symbol, which looks like an X, at the top left of the reverse side of the coin. In 1946, the Vienna Mint rescinded any rights of foreign governments to issue such copies; subsequently, the Vienna Mint has produced over 49 million MTTs.

The MTT came to be used as currency in large parts of Africa until after World War II. It was common from North Africa to Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and down the coast of Tanzania to Mozambique. It could also be found throughout the Arab world, especially in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Muscat and Oman, and in India.

It was one of the first coins used in the United States and probably contributed, along with the Spanish eight-bit dollar, to the choice of a dollar as the main unit of currency for the United States.

ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »

Many thanks Hedgehog i will pass the info on

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal