Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A morning at the beach 23rd October 2010  (Read 5112 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 23, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »

I was at a loose end this morning and thought I know I'll head to the beach for a spot of detecting. Always nice to have a change, and I always seem to do well on the beaches.

After about an hour of finding exactly 39 pence in change I was close to giving up, and thought I'll give it to my next coin and then head home to the PS3! Anyway as I stumbled across the beach I became concious that the sand/shale in this one area was certainly darker than the rest of the beach and when looking at the steps in front of this area (100 paces away} it was noticeable that it was banked up the steps. Hang on - have we got an area of the beach thats gone down to its base layer?

It certainly appeared to be as my next beep was a Edward half penny folowed by a 1918 silver joey, an enamelled RAF badge, 1948 two shillings, a vicky farthing, 1933 joey (easy Chef!)' two 1948 sixpences and about another 4 pre decimal coins. Next came a lead driver - what he was driving was anyones guess, followed by an ornate chicken brooch thats a tad battered.  I then had a Johnny Foreigner (I think German - "I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!") stuck in some Iron residue.  Final find of the day was a live bullet - that will be heading to my local nick shortly.

All the finds pictured came out of an area only 5 metres square on a huge beach. I kept asking myself when is the gold going to turn up, but alas it was not to be today. Its funny how beaches and tides and long shore drift works. I found literally nothing of any age for two hours and then couldn't stop pulling pre 1950 stuff out for the final hour.

The heavens emptied eventually and sent me running for cover, but as the Mayor of California once said "I'll be back!"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:24:13 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
shunggav

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »

brill report neil good finds there mate

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
falcon.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »

Cracking finds there Shocked maybe next outing you will find gold!! Wink Wink
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »

WELLDONE NEIL BUTTY..
lovely finds for a mornings detecting mate.great stuff neil..ive been wanting to try a bit of beach detecting myself..my problem is getting to the beach..lol.
again welldone mucker.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »

Well done Neil. Great finds there. I am surprised at the condition of some of them, though. They look as if they've come out of soil. Do you think there was a land slide somewhere along the coast and they have been washed in.
Theres a section of cliff by Amroth that is constantly dropping chunks and bearing in mind the Graves that were exposed by St.Davids the same way I often wonder what might come out next Shocked It's a bit dangerous though so I keep clear.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »

Hi Val - Beach coins always come out like that.

More faded than soil if the are 50/50 or post 47!

Pre 1920 are always black and generally worn.

Gold comes out pristine if its a high carat or coated if its less than 18ct (but easily cleaned)

Coppers always green - but when rubbed look like new coppers.

Thats salt water for you and the best part of 50 -100 years sat in it!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

Thanks for the info Neil. I've only found a couple of 'old' coind on the beach and they looked as if they'd been in a sand blaster.
They say salt water's good for the feet though Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »

Good productive visit to the beach ,,,,, i was going to say you struck gold, ,,,, but apart from that , nice collection  there,,,,, unusual to get age of the beach, as they are normally detected away, you must have found a sweet spot, like you said it had been stripped,,,,, bonus

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
goldquest
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »

Good write up fantastic finds, it's always nice to find the older coins well done  Smiley
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »

A nice selection of finds there m8, good to find the older stuff when beach detecting
Well done  Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:48:19 AM »

A great report Neil and some super finds looking forward to our day out  Grin

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »

same again, just packing in and then wham lol, nice one Neil  nice r.a.f. badge too, good detective work
Alan

dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »

Thats the sort of beach day i like well done Neil... Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »

good one .just goes to show its all about reading the beach layout.i could do with a morning out like that.good luck on that elusive gold.i am still managing to avoid it .lol Undecided

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
James

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »

nice finds!! i tried a the beach last week when i was away in Brixham all i found was a bronze oar guide! did see a statue of William III and the "supposed" paving stone he first stood on British soil.

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal