Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for the experienced beach searchers  (Read 5037 times)
Muddydigger

« on: November 17, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »

With storm barney approaching I have a question , do all big storms strip sand off or do they have to be blowing in a certain direction ? ie.. Towards the shore or away from it , and does the storm have to coincide with high or low tide , I live very close to minehead beach in Somerset but despite many storms I don't think I've ever seen it stripped .... Unless I'm not looking properly
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »

Just keep looking,and yes after a storm !
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »

The direction does have an effect though the timing of the storm is all important as the storm needs to be still in full swing as the tide is going out taking the sand which is now in suspension along with it sand can also be moved along the beach, longshore drift, stripping away large areas while covering others. Ironically Minehead beach is famous for losing practically every grain of sand in the 90's with sand having to be brought in by road before summer, It was a bonanza for detectorists as you could literally pick up coins from amongst the pebbles unfortunately this means that if the sand does get stripped back older finds are still deeper than the pebbles Undecided
Muddydigger

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »

Cheers Geoff, so minehead probly not the best beach for me to be waiting around for 😕Any suggestions anyone ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »

You've got plenty to  choose from. What about The Haven, Dunster, Blue Anchor and Watchet. Not to mention all the bits in between.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »

Geoff is quite correct on tides, I was doing Minehead along with keepmeteethinthejar.....in the 90s at least twice a week when conditions were rite and it was exciting times for  coins and jewellery, the best times was winter ie now onwards to late April (storm times) in particular strong North Easterlys/ Easterleys some times with driving snow. Incidentally these were also the best conditions for Barry, one of the best quality jewellery beaches we have searched. The thing with Minehead now is the defence work that was carried out on the beach Groins etc...I'm not saying it wouldn't be any good now but I think it means even more Mother Nature must play her part, but that's the same for all beaches. If I lived in Minehead I would be keeping an eye out but also checking the beaches further down in Westward Hoe, Bude, Woolacombe these take a big hammering during winter. To be honest muddydigger you just have to check regularly don't forget on low tides the tree stumps you see there go back to Bronze Age, Oh if you haven't already get a Minelab....sorry if I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs...Lol. Wink Wink
Muddydigger

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »

Appreciate the replies chaps, think I'll check the state of the beach in the  morning but I'm sure your rite celticspikey, the new defences / groins have had a big effect , mite have to look elsewhere , oh I'll be using a ctx 😀
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »

CTX good boy  Wink Wink  sold mine because I wasn't doing the beaches often enough now winters here I do regret it, got the Deus for inland, mite have to get another CTX Lol, mite join you down your way if I do  Smiley
Muddydigger

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »

Your more than welcome .... Shame I don't have a spare one lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »

I'm still amazed by what still comes off Barry - one, one day I might something (but then I would have to go and detect there too!)
Jonnietaz

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

For myself, I have found that most beaches, all year round have low spots, sand off, you just have to find them, yes the storms from the other year did rape most beaches of sand, that might be an indication of why so meny seem to have had not so good a year beach hunting this year, but like others have said, it amazes me what turns up, time ans time again.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »

not all storms good,some bring sand on  Wink,just keep an eye on your local beach and check low spots Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal