Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUILTY to using a Detector to steal a gold coin  (Read 1265 times)
John Winter

Scribbler

« on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »

From Andy Long, Wildlife and Heritage Crime Adviser for English Heritage

A man from Grays has admitted using a metal detector to steal a gold Roman coin from a private estate in Norfolk . 

Roy Wood (52) a delivery driver of Lytton Road, appeared at Basildon Crown Court on Monday September 29 and pleaded guilty to using sophisticated equipment to find a gold Roman coin at Castle Acre, Norfolk. The coin originates from the period of the Emperor Valentinian, and was valued at £200.

This form of theft is sometimes referred to as 'nighthawking' and relates to unlawful metal-detecting on private property/land, protected archaeological sites or other areas of archaeological interest, in order to recover historic objects or other items of value. It is performed where permission to survey and dig has been refused or never sought.

During sentencing His Honour, Judge Owen-Jones said the discovery of the coin was of 'archaeological and historical importance' and that would be taken into consideration along with the defendant's previous good character. Wood was fined £400 and ordered to pay £250 costs. 

Essex Police works closely with English Heritage and police services across England and Wales to tackle this form of criminal behaviour and in April 2013, officers were contacted by the British Museum reporting that Wood was suspected of being in possession of items that should be reported to the Coroner as required with within the Treasure Act 1996.

In May 2013 Essex Police working with experts from English Heritage executed a search warrant at Wood's home and found documentation implicating Wood in the theft and subsequent sale of two gold coins.

PC Andy Long, Wildlife & Heritage Crime Officer for Essex Police said: "We work closely with English Heritage, CPS and the National Council for Metal Detecting to ensure the criminal element of this lawful hobby are brought to justice and I urge anyone who has information about such activity to contact me either by phone or email."

Mark Harrison, National Policing and Crime Advisor for English Heritage, said: "The practice of illegal metal detecting and stealing historic objects and artefacts from the ground, a practice sometimes referred to as 'nighthawking' is an issue that English Heritage takes very seriously." 

"Discoveries of individual artefacts can often by very informative about our common past. The presence of such a coin could be indicative of a previously unknown high status site, in the case of the Roman period perhaps a villa or temple, or provide evidence regarding the wealth of a settlement. That knowledge, in this case, has been lost."

"We recognise that the majority of the metal detecting community comply with the laws and regulations relating to the discovery and recovery of objects, however, we are prepared to work with the police to identify the criminal minority who operate outside of the law and to bring them to justice."

An allegation relating to the theft of a second gold coin was not taken forward and was asked to lie on file.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »

I'd say he got off light with that fine and I'm sure the coin would have sold for more than £200.  He probably paid the fine out of his profit from the other one. Angry

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal