Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: minelab safari v quattro (i take it all back )  (Read 2571 times)
chantalpoole

« on: September 10, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »

I have been known to comment on threads where members have asked the question pertaining  to the differences between a safari and a quattro.
I have always suggested that the performance is similar with the safari getting the overall nod due to the faster processor.
Last week the on/off button on my safari broke and my safari was whisked away to steve at msr in surrey to have a new keypad fitted.
I was offered a quattro to borrow from a detecting friend which i gladly took and used for 3 days whilst my safari was being repaired.
3 days was 21/2 days too long ,if it hadnt been for the fact that a) it was borrowed and B) It had my procoil on it then i may have thrown it in a river due to frustration.
Whilst i am eternally grateful to the person for lending me a detector when he didnt need to and entrusting me to look after it i have to say it drove me bonkers.
The quattro cannot make its mind up as to if a target is iron or copper.It changes its mind constantly in all metal mode one min singing sweetly then within a few swipes its grunting. I dug up more iron in those 3 days than the year iv had my safari.The quattro uses up batterys at least a third faster than the safari.The iron gets through the discrimination coming in at anthing from 30 up to 39 if you chose to discriminate minus numbers and 40 (which is coin and jewellry mode). The response time is far slower than the safari .The tones are not the same there seems to be more lower tones which i found confusing for a few hours.
I am sure there are people who have the quattro and love it , the aim of my post is not to discredit a machine but to correct the comments i have made in the past.The minelab safari and quattro are not the same, you will not get the same performance if you opt for the cheaper quattro and if you switch to a quattro from a safari you will notice the performance drop more significantly than perhaps someone moving from a different brand.

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »

Interesting post Chantel. Do you use the pre set programs on the safari, or do you discrim the minus numbers ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
chantalpoole

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »

Hi dryland.
i use all metal mode 99% of the time , if there is a lot of iron around i will manually discrim out the iron numbers which on the safari is -4 to -10 and the top number which is 40 .
i very rarely use the preset modes

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

Thanks Chantel

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »

Dylan,   Same as Chantal, I use All Metal 99% of the time.  To give my ears a rest on a messy site I use a program that I cross saved from Coins & Jewellery to Relic. Sometimes I also double check some of the 'iffy' signals by changing from All Metal to Relic and compare what they are telling me. ( Usually says 'go away you idiot it's iron pretending to be silver') Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »

Grin Grin Thanks Val, I'll give it a go this w Roll Eyes :Dend and see if I can come back with more than my usual pennies

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal