Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First find, lead?  (Read 1514 times)
bigwig
Rally attendee

« on: March 28, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »

Hi all,
Finally had my first couple of spare hours today to see if detecting is for me so I went to a local picnic area to have a practice out of the way.
I didn't really find anything of interest, about 10 x 2p, 8 x 1p, a 5p, some what looked like alluminium tube and some what seemed to be melted globs of lead. When I got home I decided to clean one of the peices of lead as it looked slightly different and when I did it appears to be some sort of screwed up sign/mount?
If this could be flattened (like it should be) it would be about 1" in height and about 5" long with like mounting or hanging holes on either side, it also has writing on the front saying TRADE SUTTOS MARK REGd. I've tried Googling it but cannot find anything so was hoping with all the knowledge on here someone may be able to offer some advice (what it is/for)?
I know it's only junk but what with it being my first outing and with the fact that all my other finds were the sort of thing my daughter usually puts in her pig money box I am intrigued? (and I had to ride about 40 mins to get there and 40 mins back, in the rain)

Many thanks John
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »

thats an interesting item bigwig..... Wink...is that a suspension loop in the first pic?.....sorry i cant help with any ID.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »

Well done on getting out fella, you'll pick up no end of unidentifiable bits n pieces on your travels metal detecting. Come on one of out rallies, you'll enjoy it , give you a chance to find some old stuff.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
zorro
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:27 AM »

bigwig a visit to the roman baths in Bath will show you how important lead was in roman times. theres a curse scratched into a piece of lead that reads something like "a curse on the person who stole my bowl". the lead was then folded and thrown into a river or stream, supposedly where the "demons" would read the message and bring ill fortune to the culprit.
what im getting at is that lead can sometimes help in ageing a site.
It was once described as the "ancients plastic".
so dont just throw any old bit of lead into the nearest bin or hedge without having a good look at it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal