Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lock of Napoleon's hair sold at New Zealand auction  (Read 1696 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:45 AM »

Courtesy of BBC online 30 June 2010 09:39 UK

A lock of hair from former French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte has sold for more than US$13,000 (£8,600) at auction in New Zealand. The hair, cut from his head after he died in exile in 1821 on the Atlantic island of St Helena, was bought by an unnamed London collector.

Bidders vied for about 40 items of Napoleon memorabilia that sold for almost $100,000.

The items belonged to descendants of a British officer stationed on St Helena. Denzil Ibbetson served during Napoleon's imprisonment on the remote island, a British colony, from 1815 to 1821.

Mr Ibbetson's collection was brought to New Zealand in 1864 by his son and remained in the family, stored in a suitcase, until the sale. The image of Napoleon on his deathbed was the most expensive single item His diary, which sold for $6,600, detailed conversations with Napoleon, who still spoke of invading Britain despite his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Mr Ibbetson was also an accomplished artist. A lithograph and watercolour image of Napoleon on his deathbed went for $14,600, the highest price for a single item at the auction. The head of the Art+Object auction house, Hamish Coney, said it was a unique and important collection.

"Denzil Ibbetson was an acute recorder of life on the island and was in a unique position to access Napoleon in his final years," he said.

"Napoleon is one of the greatest figures of European history. This collection enables collectors and historians to gain a new perspective on his final years."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

well a bit different to mine , my hair went to the hairdresser black bag .

wondering how many auctions like this one are in the UK

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal