Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consett treasure hunter finds medieval ring near Alnwick  (Read 1691 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »

A TREASURE hunter is hoping to have uncovered a little piece of history with what he believes is a medieval ring he found in Northumberland.

Metal detectorist Jason Parkin spends most weekends scouring the countryside for forgotten riches that have lain buried for centuries.

And he is hoping to have found a significant piece after uncovering an engraved gold ring in a field near Alnwick at the weekend.

Jason, 42, a postman, said: “I got a signal and I dug down with my trowel about four inches and pulled up a clump of soil then I saw the gold glistening and knew it was a ring.

“I cleaned it up and it’s got a flower on it and an inscription of what looks like French.

“I think it’s from the 1400s and it’s got to have belonged to someone from the nobility. The location I found it was between two castles so I think it may have came from someone living there.

“I’m over the moon. To have something that’s been lost for hundreds of years and to be the first person to pick that up, it’s unbelievable.”

Now Jason, of Consett, will hand the ancient artefact over to a finds liaison officer before a coroner decides its fate.

“This has been my hobby since 1989,” said Jason, who only bought his new £850 metal detector a few weeks ago.

“There’s a group of us who do it. You have to put the research in then get the permission from the landowner so it takes patience but all that was worth it.

“I’ve found a few coins before but nothing on this scale. I couldn’t believe it. I’m still in shock. It’s mesmerising.”

Finds liaison officers are employed by the Government’s Portable Antiquities Scheme and report back to the British Museum.

Anybody who finds an item of treasure must report it to their nearest officer within 14 days.

But for archeology buff Jason, a member of the Blaydon and District Search and Recovery Club, the best place for his prize find would be where others can enjoy it. “I would like it to go into a museum on display,” he said.

In 2010, farmer Eric Robinson become a millionaire after selling a Roman helmet found on his land.

Mr Robinson, 56, was astounded when the helmet found on his Crosby Garrett farmland fetched a staggering £2.3m at auction.

He shared the fortune with the metal detector user from County Durham, who came across the 2,000-year-old find.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal