Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Extraodinary Afternoon  (Read 3683 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »

Never one to miss half a nod I went to see a Farmer this afternoon who I bought some Hayledge off. When he delivered it we got to talking, as you do, and I threw a mention of my latest hobby into the conversation. He seemed very interested and didn't seem to now anyting about it. I joked about giving him a call one of the days and he said he looked forward to it.
I phoned first at 12.30 p.m. and he said he'd be back at the farm about 2 p.m.  I politely arrived about 2.20 p.m. and he wasn't there so I hung around a bit. He eventually arrived at 3.03 p.m. all smiles and greeted me like a long lost friend, even calling me Val. Great. Grin
The only question he asked was 'will it be 50/50'  I assured him it would be IF and it is a big IF. He then started reeling of a list of fields in a radius around the area that he owned and I could detect. WOW. Shocked
By this time I was short of time but deceided to have just a small go around the nearest on my way back. It took 10 mins to unpick the knotted rope on the gate and then I was in and away. 2 or so foot in any I had the first signal, 2p.
The rest is in the pici. What a strange collection but at least there's something there and I have a new farm.
Val

* A Mixed Bag.jpg (120.2 KB, 640x426 - viewed 1001 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
JohnF

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

Good luck with your new permission, you cant beat the anticipation of visiting a new farm.

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »

well done val..... Wink.....you cant beat having a new farm to detect on....... Grin.......hope your finds are many there.......good luck...... Wink.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

Thanks Guys. I'm certainly overdue for something nice. I've just about given up on my last permission. Out of what used to be 7 fields, various small sizes, I've only found signs of habitation in 1 and a junk heap in another.
It's soul destroying to spend 4 hours trudging up and down hills and come home with  one 1/2d so cruddy I can't I.D. it.
This afternoon has restored my faith and I can't wait to go back.

Val

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »

Hi Val, Well done on the new permission. I have a few fields that have been used over the years as a dumping ground so the finds are very
ecclectic in there but because they've been used for so long for this purpose you ever know what will turn up. Dug a small square iron item out
from my 'rubbish field' only to find a crest on washing that showed it was actually a 'coinweight' for a Royal Ryal of James II. Shame the actual
coin itself wasn't there  Cheesy but as I've said, you never know whats been dumped / lost in there over the centuries. I know this applies to most fields
but rubbish fields (can't remember proper name for them) are usually a good places to find and detect.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »

welldone val  ..lovely selection of finds.keep it up.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »

I will go back to that field again Mike. I think there could be more to find. It is a dump of what came out of the nearby Gents Country House when it was re-fitted in the 1800's. Only managed a brief scan before the Barley got too thick and it hasn't been cut yet.
Ray, don't know about lovely but interesting. 2p were 1980's and toys are modern. Seems the Travellers used to camp on that field.  The beaten copper is interesting though. Don't know what is was but it's very thin and seems to have a leaf pattern. It also seems to be the oldest of the finds.
Long time since I dug that many holes in 1 1/2 hours. Also this field is at the back of a Cemetary  Shocked could be good.

Val

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »

Very good news Val and well done you. Slow and steady and I'm sure you will get some nice finds.

Mike, is it "Nightsoil" fields.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

"That's the one".  I knew you knew that cos I'd heard you mention it to someone before. Cheers Geoff.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »

Well done Val, very best of luck .....!!xx

Everything happens for a reason.....
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:31:51 AM »

Well done on your new farm Val  Wink Keep up the good work

peanut

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »

well done Val I'm really pleased for you Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »

Never one to miss half a nod I went to see a Farmer this afternoon who I bought some Hayledge off. When he delivered it we got to talking, as you do, and I threw a mention of my latest hobby into the conversation. He seemed very interested and didn't seem to now anyting about it. I joked about giving him a call one of the days and he said he looked forward to it.
I phoned first at 12.30 p.m. and he said he'd be back at the farm about 2 p.m.  I politely arrived about 2.20 p.m. and he wasn't there so I hung around a bit. He eventually arrived at 3.03 p.m. all smiles and greeted me like a long lost friend, even calling me Val. Great. Grin
The only question he asked was 'will it be 50/50'  I assured him it would be IF and it is a big IF. He then started reeling of a list of fields in a radius around the area that he owned and I could detect. WOW. Shocked
By this time I was short of time but deceided to have just a small go around the nearest on my way back. It took 10 mins to unpick the knotted rope on the gate and then I was in and away. 2 or so foot in any I had the first signal, 2p.
The rest is in the pici. What a strange collection but at least there's something there and I have a new farm.
Val
Nice story Val will wait for your update on farm  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »

Day 2 Field 2.  Well, I went back again this afternoon and deceided to skip the Travellers field and see what was going on in the next one. This one backs onto a cemetary. It was (excuse the pun) as quiet as the grave. Roll Eyes
Amazing the difference between one and the next. I did manage another Half Crown, what could be a pot mend, a lead washer and yet another Matchbox car on the way back. At this rate I'll have the whole collection. Oh and another 2p.

Val
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:42:36 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal