Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Todays finds - Good Friday 10th April 2009 . . .  (Read 3727 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »

Well it certainly was a Good Friday for me after 5 months of no hammered coins and very little else to shout about, but more on that in a mo.

Myself and Jaydogg headed towards the glorious VOG today to a new site to me, but one he had visited recently. We were both sporting Explorer II's with Jaydogg having just received a new DD coil, and within minutes of entering the stubble he hit a 1916 sixpence! Well done mate - nice to break in the coil with some silver! Wink

We then had a barren spell, until we stumbled across a fox suspended on a barb wire fence {why do people display them in such a way? I have seen them 3 times now - is it to warn other foxes?} Anyway Jaydogg being his usual mystical self saw it as a sign of good luck! If a rabbit, sheep or even a pidgeon passes us on route to the fields he always comments on it "Being a sign!".

On this occasion he was right! Shortly after whilst following a well worn path between the fields I found a big old lump of machine turned silver possibly from a walking stick or something similar. things were looking up! {I just tried the old foil test on it and it stinks of eggs - so silver it is, but no hallmarks.}

I then headed towards the entrance of a field we couldn't go on, and there in the tiny bit of pasture leading into it I found a deliberately folded hammered coin! Woohoo - my first in 5 months and hopefully the end of the hex. No idea who it is yet, need to take some time and have a go at unfolding it! More on that tomorrow.

I also found a late medieval buckle broken in two parts in the same bit of grass. Anyone who knows me knows that I love finding buckles as they are a personal item - someone way back when would have picked this design for what ever reason and I just like finding them.

It was getting towards the end of the day so I headed towards the other entrance {which again had a tiny bit of grass just as you enter} and low and behold at merely 2 inches popped out a hammered shortcross coin - slap bang in the middle of the gates. Shocked Who says you need to go deep! Wink

It's a toss up between Henry II, Richard, John and Henry III. I personally hope it turns out to be a Henry II or John Penny as I have found the others previously. Nice to find something from the late 1100's though which literally thousands of people must have walked over due to its location. strange how close to the surface it was.

The day was almost over and as we were getting ready to go, JayDogg had another signal - last hole of the day and out pops a 1921 sixpence. The first hole and last hole - both sixpences for him - he should have just had a nap for the 5 hours in between.  Wink Its a funny old game!

I am off to The Griffin tonight to celebrate the end of my hex, and get well and truly drunk! Well it is Good Friday - how else are you supposed to celebrate it?

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

Cane silver and folded hamster.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »

Shortcross penny and some of Jaydogg's other finds firstly a watch that was still working and then a mobile phone!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

onehorseAl( Al)

FID,Explorer !! & Deus User

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »

Looks like it eas a really Good Friday!
Al Smiley Smiley

Let the world go away 'cos I'm Bleeping today.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »

Well done Neil. Nice to see someone doing proper work while i did a 15 hr stint at work. I am so jealous as all i have done this week is work, work, work.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

Well done Neil , nice finds. Whats the lump of silver?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »

Cheers all for the comments.

Robh I think it is off a walking cane or something similar. Its been monogramed with the initials H.G. - fair old size to it as well.

cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

waltonbasinman
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »

Neil there is not Wells on it anywhere it may be worth a few bob. H G WELLS..... uuummmm sorry Neil just joshing.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »

wow Niel,  what a great day out hey,  worth going out for,
 o.K. the Griffin in Lisvane is it, we'll all be there then
 cheers now
Alan

KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

good start to easter neil weldone mate   
    DES
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »

Well done Neil - great finds - that folded hammered is strange.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »

And the shortcross looks like Richard I, London mint, moneyer Stivene (STIVENE ON LVND). Should clean up nicely.
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »

hi neil, well done on your hammy. nice coin  and jaydog to,   regards john
simon c

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »

Very nice finds Neil,i read a post over on ukdn about some hammered coins being deliberately bent and burried in fields as some sort of votive offering,your coin has certainly been bent deliberately,mght be worth showing to Flo before trying to un-fold it . Smiley
trys
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »

Nice finds, well done on the hammered.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal