Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Search for Spanish Civil War archaeology dig volunteers wanted.  (Read 4416 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 01, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »

A Ceredigion archaeologist is looking for volunteers to join a new International Brigade to work on a dig at a Spanish Civil War battlefield.

Salvatore Garfi, from Pontrhydygroes, set up the International Brigades Archaeology Project (IBAP) earlier this year.

He aims to take a team to Spain later this year to study the archaeological remains of the war.

About 30 volunteers have so far expressed an interest.

Mr Garfi will work with Spanish archaeologists and volunteers from different countries at the town of Belchite in north east Spain in September.

The project will take several years to complete, he said.

Loyalist Spanish Republican and General Franco's forces fought a fierce battle in and around the town in 1937.

A new village of Belchite was built adjacent to the ruins of the old, which remains a ghost town as a memorial to the war.

"We will be studying the landscapes of the town and the materiality of the war imprinted on the land," said Mr Garfi.

The battle took place in August and September 1937 "There will be excavations, building recording and a landscape area survey.

"We will be able to compare our findings with the written evidence of the battle so we can question the truth of these accounts.

"For example, there may be written accounts of fighting in one area where there are no archaeological signs, while the archaeology might indicate hostilities in other, unknown areas, or parts of the town.

"We will work together to create a holistic view of what happened at Belchite."

About 4,000 people from Britain and Ireland went to fight fascism in the Spanish Civil War between 1936 and 1939 according to National Archive files.

They included writer George Orwell who recounted his experiences in his book Homage to Catalonia.

'International Brigades'

The dig is part of The Spanish Civil War Archaeology Project based in Spain, which was set up in 2006.

The types of sites studied, to date, include battlefields, prisons and concentration camps, monuments and mass graves.

"The bulk of the fighting at Belchite by loyalist troops was done by English speaking sections of the International Brigade from Britain, Canada and America," said Mr Garfi.

"A non-Spanish audience might, perhaps, dismiss the conflict as being of importance to only the Spanish people, but that would be a mistake.

"These remains are not just important to Spain, but to the world, and to the people of those other countries whose citizens went to Spain to join the international brigades."

* _73845597_belchite1.jpg (52.04 KB, 624x351 - viewed 1360 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Christoph1945
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:59 AM »

Taking into mind the date, I would prefer to be part of the team selected to demine North Africa! Any volunteers?   Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:33:05 AM by Christoph1945 » Logged
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »

No - this is legit Chris was published yesterday.

Already done the annual April Fools joke.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Hoisted by your own petard Neil
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

Interesting read, a friend of mine has still got his taid's medal from the International Brigade and I don't suppose there will be many of those about.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

Quite an interesting fact that's often overlooked is that Franco had more foreign volunteers on his side, including British, than did the republicans in the "international brigade".
Christoph1945
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

" Spanish Civil War " That is what happens when you put in a democratically elected government and the hoy-poly don't like it. Democracy is an illusion!  Wink Even in Spain!  Sad

I suppose I should be careful what I say; I may have to go back to Spain next spring.  Wink

dsinfinite

CHECK THE ROCKS!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »

Interesting I will be studying Archaeology after I finish my A levels.

Machine's: teknetics eurotek pro + Garrett ace 250, Cscope CS4PI
Rings - 5
Gold - 1
Silver - 4
tokens - 1
Necklace - 1
commemorative coins - 2
oldest find - 15-17th century English lead token
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »

Read a book last year by a guy who escaped a life in the coalmines of the valleys and became a Para, and then joined the SAS. In his book he tells of a large contingency of Welsh coalminers who left the Valleys to fight in the Spanish Civil War.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Christoph1945
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »

The book "Winter in Madrid", based on that era, makes for an interesting if somewhat sad read.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal