Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Northumberland Roman fort's child murder mystery  (Read 1665 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

Archaeologists believe they have uncovered an 1,800-year-old murder mystery in Northumberland.

During a dig at Vindolanda Roman fort, the skeleton of a child, aged between eight and 10, was found in a shallow pit in the corner of a barrack-room.

Foul play is suspected, because human burials in built-up areas were strictly forbidden in Roman times.

It is thought the remains were those of a girl, and the position indicates that her hands could have been tied.

When the bones were first discovered, it was at first thought they were those of a large dog.

However, examinations by experts at Durham University revealed that they were the remains of a child.

The pit in the barracks has been dated to the middle of the 3rd Century, when the Fourth Cohort of Gauls formed the garrison.

At that time the dead had to be interred or cremated in cemeteries on the outskirts of towns or barracks, so the concealment of a body in this fashion would have been a criminal act.

Andrew Birley, Vindolanda's director of excavation, said that it was not the first time an excavation of a Roman fort alongside Hadrian's Wall had uncovered a murder victim.

"In the 1930s my grandfather, Eric Birley, found two skeletons concealed below a floor in a civilian building at Housesteads.

"One had the blade of a knife stuck in the ribs, and the later coroner's inquest duly produced a verdict of murder by person or persons unknown, shortly before AD367.

"I'm sorry to say that Vindolanda has probably produced another Roman murder victim.

"I shudder to think how this young person met their fate."

Once the forensic examination at Durham University has been completed, the skeleton will be put on view at Vindolanda Museum.

* _49121043_bones.jpg (28.51 KB, 304x171 - viewed 264 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
romano-brit

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

but kids werent reconised as proper pepole till were about 12, so they were normally buried in the corner of rooms same as with pets, its like they were blessing the house

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »

fredius westus   Roll Eyes?
 i would check the rest of the house achum achum   Shocked
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:04:45 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal