Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky 2016  (Read 7443 times)
The Ferret

« on: December 31, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »

Wishing you all a lucky new year.... from the SAS

Detecting IS LUCK and we know it  Smiley
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYwuSNwoOU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYwuSNwoOU</a>

* newyear.jpg (331.87 KB, 1277x738 - viewed 612 times.)

sinky

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »

Thanks gang same to you all
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »

Yes, I'm hoping for a better 2016 - as 2015 was my worst detecting year since 2010.

It's partly land, partly time and partly weather (and also being out of the country for 3 months!).

No hammereds last year Sad (last one was on 31st Dec 2014), so hoping for some this year, although on a positive note did find 3 Geo V half crowns this year........one day I might even find a florin!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »

Detecting is not all down to luck  Wink Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »

If you take in all the variables and possibilities I'd say it was all down to luck starting with the item being lost or thrown away in the first place to us putting a small piece of plastic directly over it and it not being to deep, if you work out all the things that are against us finding items ie depth, mineralisation, soil moisture, iron contamination, angle of the target, angle of approach, speed of swing and EMI it's a wonder we ever find anything at all Grin
raistlain

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

luck wasn't with me today drove 30 miles to beach detected for 20 mins got a fishing weight and a ringpull  then the heavens opened hail rain the lot so gave up ha ha bad start to a new year  Angry
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »

Well,MR Raistlain,at least you made the effort!!!,well done for that, and for gads sake how much more is there up there to come down ?
I've got cobwebs on me coil....!!!! Not good !!!👎!!!!! UGH !!! Huh
raistlain

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »

ha ha its totally soul destroying a few times I've charged the battery's got the flask and sarnies ready to go and the minute I pick up the car keys ..  .the gods grin and open the heavens !!!!  Shocked
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »

Years and years of research and studying with books and maps, fields walking-spending hundreds and hundred of hours travelling to locate productive field sites, spending time getting permissions from land owners,then getting that permission, then reading the fields visually and hours and hours in all weathers of searching will always reward you with finds its not rocket science its committment  and dedication, Sure some detectorists can pick up a machine having never used one, walk on to a field to search for farm machinery or the likes and find beuitifulll treasure that we all dream off that's Luck.... Personally I do not see my finds as luck....... Wink Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »

Oh don't get me wrong research and experience is priceless but it all counts for naught if the individual find is just 1mm too deep.  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »

Wink   I can't dispute that Geoff.  Roll Eyes
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »

I agree with you in part Spikey - certainly I wanted permission on the farm I go to because I know (having dug there as an amateur archaeologist for 20 years or so) what was there - although that doesn't explain the medieval coins I found there - they should have been roman Smiley (I did find quite a few of those too!). Luck must play a certain part because that field was detected by many people, many times over many years.

Some days I choose a particular area because I know I'll find old pennies and the like (I need to find stuff sometimes after all!), but then research matters little if you don't get that permission.......

So I think I will finish by saying that research, etc certainly helps to significantly reduce the odds, but what you will actually find is too a large degree luck (although significant experience and putting in the hours certainly helps!).
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »

Ok I will settle for a little bit of luck LOL,  Wink but I must be unlucky aswell? As I haven't found Roman Gold.... Grin Smiley
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »

I haven't even found any bl###y Roman iron!! never mind Roman gold,actually  that is apart from the other Roamin !! And that's Roamin around a bl###y field for hours looking for it !!!.....LOL!!!
AH WELL FOR EVER ONWARDS !!!!😁
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 12:08:47 AM »

Ok I will settle for a little bit of luck LOL,  Wink but I must be unlucky aswell? As I haven't found Roman Gold.... Grin Smiley

I'm sure at least one of your roman brooches had some gilding on it - doesn't that count Cheesy ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal