Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions ?  (Read 2510 times)
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« on: January 21, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »

Hi all , well I have to say its brilliant being back out detecting again after letting it slip for so long. Its also great to have the enthusiasm and interest again its really what I needed. That rut I got stuck in for a while there wasn't much fun so thanks to Paul ( Ace) for getting back in touch and getting me out the house. Also thanks to DW.COM and all the members for keeping it going its great to see the site doing so well and the effort and time put into the site by Tafflaff and the mods , Neil and the Doc is much appreciated.

Anyways , I was just sitting here wondering . I have a few questions really for some of the more experienced  members who have been detecting for 20 - 30 years or longer maybe.

Would you say that it was better back then or has the advance in detectors made finding hammered easier ? Was it easier to get permission back then ? Did you find more hammered coins then or is it the same now ? Has the internet had any influence on the hobby in your opinion ?

Im sure i will think of some more questions but I will leave at that for now. Thanks for your time  Smiley

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

What a great and thought provoking question Huh Firstly though I'll just say that it's great to see you and Ace back Wink
I feel sure you'll get a few contradictory answers as all are going to be based on personal recollections which have a nasty habit of being seen either through rose tinted glasses or with a "Eee Bha Gum lad it were tough in my day" aspect to it Grin

Would you say that it was better back then or has the advance in detectors made finding hammered easier?
What advancements were these then...did I miss something?  Grin
Seriously though, yes there has been advancements in processors which has improved discrimination to a finer level as well as handling ground balancing far better, advancements in coil design has, in my view, been the biggest aid over the years rather than the machines themselves. Small, on-edge and on the limit of range ie dodgy signals have become slightly easier to discern but overall depth hasn't and can't be improved as we are still using the same circa 1974 system.

"Was it easier to get permission back then ?"
I personally don't think there has been much change though the reasons for the objections may have changed ie.
"I'm not having one of you weirdos wandering about my land digging holes....now bugger off!"
Too
"I had one of you weirdos wandering about my land digging holes and they didn't fill um in....now bugger off!"
 Cheesy
"Did you find more hammered coins then or is it the same now ?"
That's a bit of a site specific question, yes there was far more chance of finding a virgin site which could turn out to be an eldorado on the hammy front but taking in to account the "advancements" mentioned above, on average, I think they balance out to about the same.

"Has the internet had any influence on the hobby in your opinion?"
I think it's had a massive effect, even 15 years ago there wasn't the internet we have today and unless you belonged to a club then your only reference to the hobby came by way of the two (there were 3) magazines, this made the hobby even more transient than it is today. This has also made detecting seem more popular than it really is, back then you got contact by way of the magazines and your piers were in distant areas or so it seemed, now you just log on and voila! there they all are, the reality is that the peak in popularity came in the late 70's-early 80's.
Its improved the ability to research everything historic to an extent that I couldn't of even dreamt of 30 years ago, It has also affected the ethics of detecting, those that don't record or understand the arguments against detecting are frankly either thick or insulting my intelligence with their excuses.
It has opened up areas of finds and site research that wouldn't have been possible. Wink
StumbledUpon

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »

Nice to see you back detecting TheLoveDoc, and a great post Chef,  Smiley
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

Pretty much how I see it Chef. I think we as a collective must be honest and open as well. The hard work put in by Rob obtaining rallies through to 100 people attending through to the Single detectorist obtaining permission. All must be done with all in mind and the better the public relations the easier Rob or your Job of getting permission will be if the landowner tells his mates what a good bunch we all are got to be a plus.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
150aceboy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »

Very interesting post Doc m8, nice to get the different views on a great question  Wink

I also would like to thank DW and all its members for being so supportive and helpfull, your all a credit to Metal Detecting.

Of course its great to have a fantastic detecting buddy, i'm lucky i got The Love Doc, great fella, glad to be out again m8.

You asked me last Saturday ( do you think the amount of people taking up the hobby of metal detecting has inreased recently ? )

Another to mull over butty  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:24:01 PM by Ace ( Paul ) » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

As I've said it's a transitory hobby and always has been so it waxes and wanes but the high point was around 1980, there appears to be more now purely because the internet has given them a voice Wink
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »

Great reply chef thanks  Smiley

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
Johnboy25

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

Interesting reply post Chef, nice read.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

I started back in early 70s and we were not finding many rose farthings ,cut hammered.,hammer halves and quarters..The new technology has certainly changed that for the better and it means no site is completely exhausted ..i have a good sight that still produces after 35 yrs Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal