Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Folded coins  (Read 3189 times)
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »

I've found my third folded in half coin today. It's a short cross , the others were a short cross and a voided long cross. Has anyone any idea why these coins are folded perfectly in half?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

Were they from the same site?
They obviously could just be a result of ploughing and been unlucky enough to have been bent.  But... the reason I ask is that there is scant references in medieval manuscripts to the English tradition of bending a coin after praying (usually associated with a prayer for a loved ones health). I don't think it's known what you did with the bent coin afterwards but it was probably buried or tossed down a well in a harping back to a more pagan custom.
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »

Thanks for your reply chef. The coins were found on different fields but within a quarter of mile radius. I've found a few hammereds that have been hit with a plough or rotavator, but these three appear to have been deliberately folded.
JBM

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »

Here is some more data for you to read that may throw more light on the subject of deliberately bent coins. Wink Jerry.

* Bent love Token..jpg (45.1 KB, 197x400 - viewed 656 times.)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

That piece is much quoted in respect to bent coins and love tokens but for me lacks any credibility as it states;

"There was another purpose too. In medieval times, until at least the late 16th century, it was customary for a man to bend a copper coin and give it to his sweetheart as a token of his love and intention of marriage"

Huh Huh Huh
What copper coins? we didn't have any.

The so called Love tokens that we find from the reign of William III in my view are far to common to be accidental losses, Some people say they they were thrown away........................ Huh What? two and a half days wages? No, I think people would of been a bit more savy than that and that these would have found their way to the melting pot. Something else is going on here that I think is lost in the mists of time.
JBM

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

Heres another bit of data.

Its all interesting reading especially to newbies. Wink jerry.

* Love Tokens..JPG (103.44 KB, 599x304 - viewed 1731 times.)
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »

About  8 years ago I was at a rally at Fountain's Abbey in Yorkshire. I saw a gold noble that someone was lucky to find. This had actually been rolled up. The theory was that it had been deliberately rolled, and then threaded. It would have then been worn around the neck. I guess if they were robbed or lost their purse they would still have the bus fare home. Whether the same theory could be applied to those bent in half is another matter though.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
the hog

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »

The so called Love tokens that we find from the reign of William III in my view are far to common to be accidental losses, Some people say they they were thrown away........................ Huh What? two and a half days wages? No, I think people would of been a bit more savy than that and that these would have found their way to the melting pot. Something else is going on here that I think is lost in the mists of time.
I've seen a few Elizabeth I coinage which were bent like an "S",similar to the normal looking Love Tokens.
But going back to Henry III or the Edwards coinage, I personally feel they were bent on porpose to locate them easier in a pocket etc.I've also seen a few Nobles rolled up.
JohnF

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »

I have a local field which has produced 3 coins that appear to be deliberately folded. 2 were shortcrosses and 1 was a voided longcross. they appear pretty regularly on other detecting forums too. where people have attempted to straighten them claiming they have been bent by the plough, but i'm with you on this one in that these coins have been deliberatly folded and should be left as they are.
i too would love to know the reason behind this, i have heard of a few theories from folding them over a cord to prevent losing them, to placing them over the eyes of the deceased. In some ways its nice that in this day and age we still dont have an answer to all the mysteries from the past.

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal