Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Detectorist Unearths Ancient Viking King  (Read 1615 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: December 15, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

not sure if this is up already !!! never mind................. Wink

: Metal detectorist Darren Webster poses with a Viking arm-ring he discovered, estimated to date back to the late ninth or early tenth century, at the British Museum in London. The arm-ring is part of the Silverdale Viking Hoard discovered by Webster in September 2011 in the Silverdale area of North Lancashire, England. It comprises 201 silver objects including arm-rings, coins, finger-rings, ingots, brooch fragments and a fine wire braid.

CANFORTH, England –  A British man rewrote medieval history on his lunch break when he unearthed evidence of a previously-unknown Viking king.
Darren Webster, a metal detector enthusiast, stopped by a field near Canforth, northern England, to practice his hobby and uncovered a hoard of silver Viking treasure buried three feet (0.9 meters) below the earth,.

"My machine was telling me that I'd found some kind of silver," Webster said. "So I was slightly disheartened when I saw a lead pot. It was as I was lifting it that silver pieces started falling out of it."
The 201 silver objects -- including 27 coins, 10 arm-rings, six brooch fragments, two finger rings, a fine wire braid and 14 ingots -- were put on display at the British Museum.
Dr. Gareth Williams, the museum's curator of early medieval coins, said the haul probably would fetch a "high five-figure sum."
When the exact value of the silver hoard is calculated next year, Webster will be allowed to keep half of its value under the UK's Treasure Act, with the owner of the field, who wished to remain anonymous, taking the other half.
Most interesting among the haul was one of the coins, which experts believe bears the name of a previously unknown ruler of Northern England. The coin reads "Airedeconut" -- thought to be an attempt to represent the Scandinavian name "Harthacnut," according to some reports.
Other coins in the collection date to the time of Alfred the Great, who reigned 871 to 899.
Researchers now will try to uncover more details about the mysterious king, who would have ruled Northumbria, northeastern England, at a time when the Vikings were settling in Britain and converting to Christianity.

and more here................
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/8955955/Viking-hoard-provides-new-clues-to-previously-unknown-ruler.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:31:38 PM by Casa-Dos (kev) » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal