Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on getting permissions  (Read 3131 times)
Jfox
Rally attendee

« on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to detecting and just want some advice about the best ways to get permission to metal detect on land.

As im new i dont mind if the land is terrible or not, just some practice to get into it Smiley

How do you all go about getting land permission? and where do you think would be a decent place to get used to my machine etc...?

Its a little daunting thinking about it as you need permission everywhere.

Cheers in advance guys.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:44:09 AM »

join a club,cold calling can be off putting. im lucky where i live i know plenty of farmers i have worked for in the past or helped out but even then some of them can be funny about peeps diggin their fields up.
 i have found that the ones you think will let you on dont and the ones you think wont ,will let you on.
unfortunatly we get a bad press because of a few numbnuts that go night hawking,
 one of our club members tryied phoning farmers for permissions but of about 40 calls he only managed to get one.
dont be put of cos the one you get could be a life times worth of detecting,
 if you go on one of our rallies you pay a fee for the day and meet some headbangers

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »

When I first started detecting I looked for old public footpaths that ran through farmers fields. I would then approach the farmer and ask if it would be ok if I had a go along the path with my machine. If they said yes I would return to the farmer and show the guy what had been found and be grateful for the permission. By returning later in the day ( even if you find rubbish ) its a good way of asking if it would be ok if you came back on other areas of land.

Ive only been refused on one farm. The farmer said this was due to guys going there years ago and not showing him anything they found. I got chatting to a farmer in a pub and he gave me his number and permission so your local pub may be a good place to raise the subject with any land owners. Good luck  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
alun

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »

When I first started I looked for possible ancient footpaths etc. then called into the farms in person. Ok you do get a few refusals, but on the whole it's better to meet the land owner face to face, than a voice on the phone.
The problem down where I am, is the better lands were a fare way to travel, so just as a point of getting out I asked a few small farms locally who all said yes but doubted that anything would be found. Well, I now have 6 permissions within 5 miles of where I live which have kept me busy with a load of WW2 bits, through to medieval. Nothing to write home about but fun none the less.
Don't give up buddy, it takes time to gain confidence in asking and in getting use to your unit.
If your ever down in the Neath area drop us a line and we can have a few hours out.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Jfox
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »

Fantastic advice guys!

I actually don't live too far from Neath, well I live in Tredegar but seeing as I have a car I can travel if it means a good laugh Smiley

Unfortunately for me most areas where I live are covered in slag and old rubbish which is a nightmare (tried a bit today and didn't get much but it was fun).

I am a keen cyclist so perhaps on some of my local-ish trips I will pop and see a few people about getting some permissions.

I want to do it correctly to save myself hassle but also not give other metal detectors enthusiasts a bad name.

Anyway cheers for the advice guys, I'm already hooked on it although its sometimes a hard decision whether to go out with the detector, cycling or fishing.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:38:06 AM »

Welcome to DW Jfox , You're not in too bad an area in Tredegar, to metal detect, You're not
to far away from Abergavenny, or Caerphilly, Gelligaer, Newport etc where there's quite a bit of history. Do a little research and knock on a few doors and enjoy

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Jfox
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »

Id love to take a crack down aber actually.

I have just asked my mate who has farmers in his family to see if i can have a go on their land.

Lets hope I find someone that will let me. Even if i dont find much (or anything) its still exciting!

Cheers  Smiley
Moose
Rally attendee

Addictive personality!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »

Hi Jfox.

Welcome mate I'm a newbie too, and it's a bit daunting trying to get some permission at first.
Tell everyone you know that you are looking for land, and sooner or later it will drop in your lap, but meantime, dress decently, get in the car and approach some farmers!
Your in a good area (I'm Caerphilly) so keep at it.
Moose

Make holes, not war...
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »

Next time i get time off you more than welcome to join me for some detecting i am not far from neath too but try to ask few farmers always one will say yes and a bottle of wine as a thanks goes long way had more land by doing this approach a farmer know another farmer and soon u will have more than 1 site to hunt . Good luck.Nap.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal