Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales.com Rally 66 - Spiders and Halves!  (Read 18210 times)
CUT/HALF

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

Great finds HAMMERRHOID  Grin . Not only a nice CUT/HALF, but that coin weight ain't too bad either. Very well done on the finds and I look forward to meeting you again on another Detectingwales.com rally if not before.
All the best in the field
CUT/HALF
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

It was about time the DW clan returned to our Rooksbridge site, which is historically the scene of the original Hammerdfest. Sunday saw us return in our masses – it wasn’t quite a fest but still a productive day.

The fields to play with consisted of pasture, stubble and rolled. Following the fantastic overview by our resident Rooksbbridge expert, Chef we were off with hope in our hearts and mud on our boots.

The first find of the day came from the booming voice of Manicdev who was sporting an early Medieval buckle – a beauty to add to his collection. He was quickly followed by a finder with an early bag seal that should be dateable. Proconsol managed a bag seal of his own which for all the world seemed to be adorned with a phallus – hints at those pesky Romans perhaps. It was beginning to appear that despite our previous visits that there were still decent finds to be made. Who says a field is ever “Done”.

The detecting grapevine brought early news that Colonel Trautman’s favourite Special Forces operative had unearthed a Lizzy Sixpence. Sure enough, a beaming, bearded, and hairy Rambo had hit paydirt again with a coin of the Virgin Queen, who lets face it if she had ever met Rambo wouldn’t have kept her nickname for long!

He added to it later in the day with the first of many cut halves that appeared on a regular basis. I think at the time we speculated that it was a voided longcross of Henry III.

In the interest of friendly competition, Dawson was giving Rambo a run for the money with two hammered coins of his own – a Tudor penny and another cut half.

Whilst standing on the edge of the pasture, I became aware of a mystical shimmering light that seemed to be covering the grass. Being a believer in omens and lucky symbols I worked my way towards it. It was no prophecy of fortune though. Instead it was the largest web of spider I have ever seen. I was covered from my shins down in spiders and silk. For the rest of the day everyone I spoke to seemed to have a small spider hanging from their nose, cap or machine. There were literally thousands of arachnids everywhere!

After lunch my spider senses started tingling again with the arrival of another two cut halves. These were quickly followed by Dale with a whopping 30gram chunk of silver necklace broken in five parts. Guess what? He also had found a cut half!

I travelled down to the rally this morning with Mike and newbie Gareth, and was delighted to see a beaming Mike come towards me at the end of the day with a penny that I immediately recognised as being Edward 1st and I dare say a class of 10cf or thereabouts. If you believe I can ID coins that easily I’ll tell you another one! The credit for the ID goes to The Doc.

The temperature plummeted at about 3.30pm and soon members started heading home, probably with more than a few extra passengers of the arachnid variety.

I saw a total of 8 hammered coins on the day, which is a fair return in my book. I dare say there were a few other finds I didn’t see, so please add them to this post. I have never seen so many cut halfs and I think we can say for certain whatever was going on in the area cost half a penny!

Until next time

Keep the faith
Neil

Great pictures Great finds Great weather Great write up Great organisation Great bunch of guys & girls Roll Eyes even the bloody spiders were Great, well may be not Wink Wink Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

Yeh, but what abour the rally  Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »

Nice write up Neil Smiley  Great to get out and meet up with everyone, Ken Comet followed us all the way down the M5 and then up the wrong lane when we got to the village LOL Wink [my fault there...] Not the most abundant rally for me, but still very enjoyable.  Went to the beach later as we Hereford lot don't get to paddle much Wink  found £1.20 in small change, guess those soft Zummerzet locals dont go bathing much this time of year ... Wink

At least we repatriated loads of Zummerzet spiders to their new home in Herefordshire where they can sample some real zider Wink , I've never seen so many of the little buggers traveling around on their threads in the wind, the field was white with 'em, tried to capture in the attached photos but it doesn't do it justice  Shocked  Deadlock stopped for 10 minutes and had trouble finding his headphones for the little blighters Grin

Soaked the coil in a puddle to try and get them off, but that just made the threads amalgamate into a layer of silk, its not hard to believe the silk is stronger than steel in tesile strength I can tell you  Shocked  How does such a small spider contain so much of the stuff up its bum ??  boggles the mind.

See what you think of the new design of Spider Coil on my Deus...

Thanks for the rally guys, see you all on the next one I hope.

* deus-spider coil2.jpg (171.78 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1054 times.)

* DWcrew2a.jpg (74.48 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1319 times.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:50:25 PM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »

great write up as usual neil , enjoyed the day very much  Smiley

* imagesCAYAJ9RQ.jpg (31.85 KB, 585x555 - viewed 1296 times.)

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »

And there was me thinking it was only Tesoro that made web coils Grin
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

Grin Grin

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »

love the coin weight but how is the date so wide nearly covering 180yrs .surely wasnt being used for that amount of period ,or is it just to difficult to narrow down the date

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »

The Ecu was around practically unchanged for 380 years, if you think of a coin like our Florin which changed (in name only) to the 2 shilling piece, that was around for a similar period Wink
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

crazy 380 years .thanks for info geoff

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »

Enjoyed reading that thanks Neil.....  who won the hammy sweep stake?

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »

good read Neil .. well written.

It's far more informative and grammatically correct than a certain vexatious bloggers blog!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

neil,again another great report and another brilliant D/W rally well done everyone.viv
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »

vexatious.its vexatious using that word  Grin

HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »

love the coin weight but how is the date so wide nearly covering 180yrs .surely wasnt being used for that amount of period ,or is it just to difficult to narrow down the date

Nice to read that you liked the coin weight that I found at Rooksbridge Grin , its only the 2nd one that I have found in 30 years of detecting . The other one that I have has an angel on it and the flo said it was from around 1500 . Hope to meet you at the next dig .
Cheers HAMMERRHOID

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal