Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Farm Question...  (Read 4337 times)
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« on: December 24, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »

Hi, friends. A family member of mine helps out on a local farm and from what I can tell he has a good relationship with the owner. I haven't had a really good look at the place, but I'm hopeful it has at least one field that could be 'detectable'. I'm thinking, after Christmas, of going to this farm and asking the owner if I can get permission to scan it.

Basically, I'm asking (as a novice) for any tips and advice from seasoned detectorists for how to go about this. Are there thing I should or should not say to the farmer? Are there any permissions to be signed, etc, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks.  Smiley

adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »

My advice would be yourself. Some farmers are hard work but i asked 25 farmers and got one who said yes. But the farmer who said yes was a nice bloke.. All he wanted was me to fill my holes because of the sheep. He has 600 acres of pasture and plough and that give me the confidence to ask more.. If you don't ask you don't get.
Good luck mate

Ade
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »

Hi,

I would first ask your family member if you can name drop. That always helps. Then pop up  the farm and ask if the farmer has 5 mins for a chat (dont presume he's not busy) Take a print out of your name , address , car reg , mobile number ect.

Explain exactly what you want to do  (dont presume the farmer knows exactly what we do in metal detecting)
Explain we dont dig 4ft x 5 ft holes and leave them uncovered.
Offer some of the finds to the farmer if he's intersted.

Theres a start....

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »

i thing i will had to that taff if you dont mind Huh allways go dressed half tidy dont go like a tramp not saying you are a tramp mind but it do help best of luck  Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »

Lol. I'm usually quite presentable, Phil.

What about this permission form I've been told about? Do you all use them on every field you want permission for or not? If you do, when do you introduce it? Is it right away or have a scan or two first and then do it?

Good stuff so far. Thanks, guys.  Smiley

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

thats a load of bull mate you just need yourself and if they want a agreement then so it be one more thing i found that helped is  liability insurance (did i spell that right ) which you get from any good club when you join this helps alot and just be yourself mate  Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

that is good to know isnt it leighton
debs
1morecoin
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »

Whatever you do don't mention signing anything untill you have got permission, this can put farmers off straight away.
Mention that you are interested in the history of the area, show the landowner any pics of finds that you have had on other farms, this can get them interested.
Tell them you are insured.
Offer a free recovery service for anything lost on their land, as long as it's a recent loss and not ancient  Smiley
If all else fails, tell them that at the moment they have 100% of nothing buried on their land, but they could have 50% of something if they let you search their land.

This last one seems to get them thinking.

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:18:40 PM by 1morecoin » Logged
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »

Good advice there 1morecoin
debs
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 10:17:16 PM »

i only have verbal arrangements with my farmers...but an agreement on 50/50 of anything valuable....always show the farmer what you've found....that way he wont think you are hiding anything from him......good luck....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »

hallo , when visiting a new farm i like to set up the machine before getting to the farmers house...... just to give an incline to the farmer why you are there in the first place, i always start the conversation with... " hello im sorry to bother you but would it be ok i have a little go in your field" from the first conversation  you can build up a good friendship and a trust between you and the farmer..... the ones ive asked have just said " oh you just carry on" ..... just be yourself and polite and you should get your permission ....... good luck  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »

If you set up your machine first, you might give the impression your assuming that you will get permision ! I wouldnt think that a good idea.

I definitely would not wave agreement forms into the face of a farmer you hardly know, very bad idea. That sort of thing in my opinion isnt generally a good idea. Ther has to be an element of trust between you, better to show all your finds and discuss them openly at the end of each outting. And make sure you leave the gates how you find them !

I was on a farm last year in Abergavenny talking to a customer, when a guy pulled up onto his yard. Asked if he could go and walk his field ? He was told it had a public foot path, know need to ask. He looked very shifty, then he said, i want to carry out a brief survey,  I knew what he meant but the farmer didnt,  So I said you want to go metal detecting ?

He nodded. The farmer asked me what I thought and I said no ! After the guy had gone, the farmer said, he looked shifty, and we both agreed that his manner and attitude gave the wrong opinion straight away.
If he couldnt be honest and say what he wanted to do in the beginning, it gave the wrong signals.

Be yourself and be polite as said pr.eviously

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »

Ask permission,when /if they say "NO"  ask if they`ve met ya 6ft4in 18stone schizophrenic detecting partner & offer to fetch him out the back of the van  Roll Eyes
Permission is usually granted sharpish !  Shocked

Smiley               Cheesy                  Grin

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

Lol stig(mick) thats a good one hehehe
debs

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal