Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: why upgrade ?  (Read 5580 times)
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »

Hi again all... Smiley   I have a question for you.... The detecter I bought was from ebay and cost £45.00 and i seem to be doing ok with it finding a fare few coins and other stuff. I wonder then why there are other machines which are being sold for hundreds of pounds. Would i find more if i upgraded ? What do you get for ya money i mean ? It would be interesting to go over an area and see how the cheaper machines perform and then go over the same area with a top of the range machine and see if it hits more targets..... maybe if i can get to one of your rallies we could test this out  if some of you are interested ?  Smiley Might be suprised by the results .... Undecided

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
150aceboy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:11 PM »

Hey Doc Wink,

OK the more expensive machines go a bit deeper and have got lots of controls on them etc, but i think it's like buying a mobile phone, you go to shop buy the latest, go back tomorrow, and you've guessed it a new model is on the shelf Angry.

I have been on the beach detecting with my Garrett Ace 150, which cost £126, watching others who were using machines costing 4 times as much, I've gone over for a chat, just to see what they have been finding Huh, surprisingly, on quite a few occasions i have had quite a bit more in money finds etc Cheesy.

So i think it doesn't matter what you use, if the goodies are there you'll find them Smiley , and you seem to be doing just that at the moment mate, some nice find's you've had bud, keep up the good work , Ace Wink Wink

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »

as the old saying goes " you have to walk over it to find it " ! i upgraded from a bounty hunter because i wanted a machine with a screen...a minelab explorer....but i would'nt say i have found more with it !..maybe this will illicit comments like i dont know how to use it etc...lmao !.. Grin...it's a matter of taste doc....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:18 AM »

I found more with my £110 Garrett Treasure ace than any other machine ive owned.
i think basiclly because i had it for nearly £10 years and i was out Detecting more often
The only differance now is my finds are a lot older because joining a Good Detecting Club like RARE has got me to a lot more places than id have been on my own.
Its not what you pay its how much enjoyment you get for your money.
Ive gone back to a very simple machine now and im very happy and enjoying my Detecting again.

Nowadays i think i enjoy being out with my good friends ive made whilst detecting just as much as finding something.

all the best
Phil

TheLoveDoc

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »

hmmmm ok i will stick with the one im using at the moment i think. I agree with you there PHIL mate.... only regret i have is not taking up the hobby sooner ..... im loving it  Cheesy

1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:21 AM »

We all let the detector manufacturers convince us that the latest detectors are more advanced and deeper,

when in reality, there probably isnt much in it except for looks and alternative sounds.

You note, none of them make as standard a water proof control box, on tectors costing around £1000

The older detectors didnt discriminate as much as the newer ones, but he who digs the most, .....finds the most !!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:21:41 AM by outlaw » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:59:57 AM »

..... and also digs the most rubbish!!!

leaving the good stuff for the rest of us!!      ....     [i hope!!!!]

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »

I know in Aldborne this weekend there was a ferrous Iron signal in almost every metre of the 100+ acre fields
It would take a life time to dig them all.
I know theres some that would say a lot of iron age Items have a very high ferrous content but all modern Detectors get fooled by large iron anyway.(reading high on a ferrous only meter) so even this High Discrim your find large ferrous, you do have a chance with say an Explorer to where you have 2 digital readings Ferrous and conductivity.

I think it depends what your hunting for
I love coins, artifacts are something i find while looking for coins.
I leave the corroded stuff in the ground if i can help it but thats my preference

Regards
Phil Jones
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »

You dont have to Pay 1000s for a good machine but i would say mid range machines have an advantage over entry level ones I went from a digging targets a few inchs down with the Garret to mostly 12 inchs with an Advantage pro that cost me £325 but then my find rage wasnt as good as the Garrett because per day i was spending  more  time digging deeper items like coke cans and ring pulls as well as the good stuff.
Its all a case of luck with a bit of help from a good machine.
On Ploughed fields targets my be only a few inches down or even on the surface in which case any detector set on all metal would find it. but having a few extra inches is a bonus.

regards Phil
TheLoveDoc

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »

"but having a few extra inches is a bonus"  Huh  Huh  Huh Shocked lmao !!

1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »

Well thats what the wife keeps telling me  ;0( hehehehhe
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:56:21 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH (RARE) » Logged
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »

My first machine was a Garrett freedom ace and i thought it was great. When i bought it it was cheap compared to some of the machines available. As time went on i got to know everything about my machine and found some great stuff. Since buying myself a new machine i feel that i don't trust it as much as my freedom ace. I wish i had my old machine back and i think its all about what you am happy with.

Ade
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »

My 1st machine was a Whites Classic11(cost £50-2nd hand),i have a X-Terra70 now(cost ?-not cheap) & my finds rate has increased dramatically.Upgrading,for me,was a smart move !

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:50 AM »

If your not doing well with the machine you have then an upgrade could be a good move though its a two edged sword. A ground balance control might make all the difference but if you don't set it right it can cost you finds.

More controls = the more chance of wrong settings.

Go for a depth monster and there will be more iffy signals so more time wasted and it might well need a slow sweep speed so not as much ground covered.
Go four (or more filters) and you have to maintain a higher sweep speed. Wears you out faster and might not be possible on furrows, heavy undergrowth etc. but on open ground/flat dry sand you can hit all the recent finds before others get to them.

Getting the weight/balance right and something that suits your style of detecting is worth more than an extra inch in depth. Best of all, find what suits so you can detect as long as you like without fear of tennis elbow and hopefully one manufacturer or other will match your physical needs and give improved performance at the same time.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal