Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suffolk Bronze Age axe treasure awaits British Museum valuation  (Read 2586 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

The man who discovered a Bronze Age axe filled with five gold rings in Suffolk is hoping they will net him a four-figure sum.

Steven Walker found the axe in a field near Lowestoft last year and the coroner declared them to be treasure.

The British Museum will now value them and the finder will get a reward.

Suffolk's archaeology service said the copper axe dates from 1000-800 BC, but the reason for it containing rings remains a mystery.

Mr Walker, 49, said he had once found a mammoth's tusk, and had been using metal detectors for 15 years.

He had been exploring the field with the landowner's permission, and was about to give up when his equipment gave a significant beep.

"I put my hand down into the hole I'd dug and found the axe and couldn't believe it when there was a glint of gold in its socket which turned out to be rings.

"If it has traces of charcoal in the socket, it could prove to have been part of a pagan cremation ceremony and that would be the icing on the cake."

The axe head is about 4 in (10cm) long and the gold lock-rings about one inch (2.5cm) in diameter.

The gold rings were found in the axe head covered in earth The find, which is being called the 'Near North Cove hoard', is in the possession of the British Museum.

Andrew Brown, finds recording officer for the Suffolk Archaeological Service, said it was the first discovery of its kind in the county, but objects had been found in axe heads in other parts of Britain.

"We don't know why the rings were inside the axe head - we have no records of Bronze Age burials so it could just be that the axe was a handy place to store the rings.

"It's quite possible that it was part of some kind of ritual practise, but without knowing the thinking behind it or having any supporting documents, we can't work out why things were being done.

"We don't fully understand how society worked, but gold appears to be quite a rare commodity, so you do start to think it does have a certain amount of status behind it.

"There's always the possibility that they were made locally because bronze axe moulds have been found in Britain from this time, but we don't know.

"Hopefully by recording things like this from the Suffolk landscape, we can start to understand better what was going on."

Mr Walker, who is a painter and decorator, said he was now waiting for the British Museum's treasure valuation committee to tell him what he will receive.

"As far as the Treasure Act is concerned, it should pay what the hammer price would be at auction, but Bronze Age gold rarely goes onto the open market.

"I've no idea what I'll get at the moment, it wouldn't be five figures, probably four figures.

"As long as I get a fair price, I'm happy with that - the true value is in the actual finding of the items."

* _64817516_axeheadhand2steveturner.jpg (53.88 KB, 624x351 - viewed 1422 times.)

* _64817520_ringsinaxe2steveturner.jpg (24.94 KB, 304x304 - viewed 1631 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

Id be happy with just the axe head, never mind bloody gold rings in it!!!

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

It's good to see the pictures of the axe with the rings in-situ.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

a great read neil thanks for putting it up..love to find one myself..

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Lovely find.
Re. Valuation. Without sounding cynical, I wouldn't hold your breath going by the way they've treated some detecting finds in the past..

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »

Why is it that anything they don't fully understand has to be 'ritual'  I wonder if it would occur to them that the rings were hidden in there for safety. They never suggest that do they.
An age old problem of the Jones's taking a fancy to next doors women or land and Mrs Brown saying 'Well they're NOT having my gold rings. George hide them somewhere they'll never look.
Like that piece of knuckle bone with the coins stuffed inside. It worked, didn't it.

Fantastic finds though. Lucky beggar.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal