Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Borth beach  (Read 4356 times)
win

« on: July 17, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »

Anybody been to Borth beach lately, about 9 miles north of Aberystwyth. There is a major flood defence scheme underway, the place is as busy as some quarry with great earthmovers trundling around. There has been a great amount of large stones dumped on the beach (bought from Norway I'm told, as if Wales hadn't got all the tough rocks it needs.) Anyway, I reckon this will kill off this beach as a metal detecting site.
                     I've had some great stuff here over the years, lots of gold, early foreign coins and oodles of pre decimal coins. I think there will be about 6 months when the detecting might be brilliant because of all the disturbance and because the new rocks seem to be making different currents which are shifting the sand in places I've never seen before. After that I'd think its the end for Borth, all the coin/artefact holding small stones will have been covered with the new mega rocks. If you're within reasonable distance, its surely worth a few hours and keeping a close eye on where the erosion is taking place. Am I a saint or an idiot telling you this ?
archie

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »

they did the same thing at Towyn as storm defenses, i guess the result is the same there

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75
bulbus

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »

borth beach is probably the closest to me in shrewsbury.....
looking at trying some beaches, will have to have a look... Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »

The opposite could happen, in 1999 the Environment agency put up new sea defences in Minehead but what they hadn't planned was how it effected the tides. There was a normal winter storm in February and by morning the whole beach, every grain, was gone. They had to truck in 300,000 tons of sand in time for the holidays.
win

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »

Yes I take the point. As I said there are already some small areas where the sand has disappeared so I guess it will be a case of regular visits to keep check on what is happening.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »

keep checkin win.if it was closer i would be there everyday mate,the tywyn side of the estuary looks more productive though Shocked

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:11:19 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »

Hoping to be in the area early August, may give borth a go myself with the tector, often done a bit of fishing off Borth beach..........

Nil illegitimi Carborundum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal