Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Just started out and need an ID please  (Read 1976 times)
Drivertess

« on: March 08, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »

Hello All,
I am new to this hobby and this forum, I bought myself a Garrett Ace 250 and a Garrett Pro Pinpointer and have only been in my back garder so far to get the feel of things, found loads of nails, 4 2p pieces, 1 1919 penny, a 1923 Halfpenny and the 2 items below that were next to each other 10" deep believe it or not. If at all possible could you ID them for me please, I have 4 photos of the box thing and I think it may be made of copper.

I have the photos on my PC and don't know how to upload them.

Thanks

* tin.jpg (155.64 KB, 868x533 - viewed 529 times.)

* tin1.jpg (138.1 KB, 870x552 - viewed 603 times.)

* tin3.jpg (149.31 KB, 617x636 - viewed 725 times.)

* tin4.jpg (201.65 KB, 922x551 - viewed 724 times.)

* bolt thing.jpg (69.66 KB, 869x309 - viewed 726 times.)
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »

1; Ladies Powder Puff & Brush set. remnants of...  Wink
2; Hinge Bar from number 1 or Modern Tat...  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:42:26 PM by Metalmickey » Logged

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »

Almost got it Mickey.  Date, probably 1940 + ish ,  It would have been powder, rouge, and lipstick in the middle, may have had a mirror inside lid.

The bar, you got it in one.

Welcome to DW Drivertess. Hope you enjoy the Forum. Any problems or queries, just ask.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Drivertess

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »

Wow that was quick reply, I know the powder Puff thing is tat but I did get a buzz from digging it up Smiley Thanks for the ID guys and I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them for me.

1. Do I need a permit to dig a beach
2. Can I dig on any public grounds (parks, commons, river banks, canal towpaths etc)
3. I have some farmer friens with virgin soil (never been searched) and they have give me permission to do what I like, if I find anything of value do I need to give them a cut if I decide to sell anything?

Sorry for the questions but I am a real newbie to this detecting and have the bug already Smiley

Thanks again fellas
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »

Hi again Drivertess

1.   Yes.   See Forum under Beach Detecting, direct link to Crown Estates. It's free can do on line and print permit when it comes through. Please read thier instructions, there are exclusions.
2.   No.     All land is owned by someone and permission must be obtained. Once again there are exceptions.
3.   Yes.   It is usual to share andy profit with the land owner, usually 50/50. There are Offial agreements that can be signed by both parties but many don't bother. Just a Gents or Ladies agreement between friends.

Hope this helps. Don't be affraid to ask.

Val

alun

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

Well done drivetess. Dont forget insurance for detecting. this is only £8 for the year with NCMD but will cover you for your new found hobby. If you want to attend one of DW rallies or any others in the near future you will need insurance.

Good luck on your searches your starting well  Grin

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:21:31 PM »

Hi Drivertess

Was going to mention the Insurance, thanks Alun for the reminder.
I'm sure there is a link to NCMD on the Forum but can't remember where. Anyway, all you  have to do is a Google search for NCMD and apply and pay on line. I think it's about £9 the first year. They will confirm by E.Mail and send your membership card through the post.

Happy Hunting

Val

Drivertess

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

Hi there,

I do have all risks and accidental damage for items outside the home with my household contents insurance, will I still need a dedicated detectoring insurance.

Thanks
alun

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »

Yep you will need the insurance as its not directly to cover your items its mainly to cover any damaged that might occur whilst your detecting on others land. For example accidentally leaving a farmers gate opening allowing livestock out etc: Angry
Best to get it for peace of mind and it will also gain you added incentive for landowners to allow you on their land as you shown responsible attitude. Roll Eyes
Quick question if you have finished digging your garden up, mine needs doing lol Grin

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Drivertess

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, I do have a big garden, about 1/3 of an acre and I have covered about a quarter of it so far, found some more coins today but only modern ones and quite a bit of lead scrap, also about 100 nails (I now hate nails). Thanks for the help, I will get the insurance.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »

Sounds like you're doing it the right way Drivertess, low and slow does the trick.
I also hate nails after volunteering to help a lady who had just moved house. She and Hubby had bought a Small-Holding and she was worried about nasties in the field she wanted to use for her horse. The old Farm house had been re-furbished and I think all the old stuff had been pulled out and burned in that field. There were literally hundreds of huge nails. It was so bad in the end I suggested it would be better to rope off the worst areas and get them dug out.
Get ready to find a few when you go to your farmer friends fields. Even when you descriminate iron out they still keep coming up. Angry
Val

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »

oh you dont want to go on them beaches nothing on there Roll Eyes Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal