Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach flotsam  (Read 4004 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: May 13, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »

I often come across all sorts of dead animals whilst detecting the sands at Talacre; all maner of dead birds, dead goat, jellyfishes, starfishes, seals and now this. I assume that this is all that is left of some kind of sea creature; perhaps a "Ray"?

* Seaside 03.jpg (275.41 KB, 356x515 - viewed 598 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »

Yup..... your right enough fella, its the tail end of a Thornback Ray  Wink The fishermen discard that bit after cutting the wings off to take home for food  Smiley

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »

Thanks for the id m8; it never ceases to surprise me, the things that wash up in this area! The other year, there were thousands upon thousands of  starfish and a while back I found a smallish octopus.

I think it is the geographic location of the beach that makes it a catchment area for all sorts of  items. I believe that wreckers used to work the location, stripping valuables from any corpses that would also wash up here.  Shocked

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but is/was Talacre a popular beach and have you studied the longshore drift for it as it looks pretty exposed Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »

I'm no expert on the matters that you mention, but I think that the flow of the River Dee into the estuary has some effect  on the tidal system at that point and may upset the general long shore drift, but I do stand to be corrected.

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »

Geoff , who's this longshore drift fella, is he a member of DW Huh Huh

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
detectingly
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »

Geoff , who's this longshore drift fella, is he a member of DW Huh Huh

Longshore Drift is just about the only thing I can remember from geography lessons at school  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshore_drift
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »

Wow, thanks for the link; there is an awful lot to digest in it. From what I can see from the concentrations of WWII projectiles, shrapnel, and copper fragments, the drift at Talacre moves from west to east but may be influenced by the flow of water from the River Dee.

The village that we now know as Talacre is built on land recovered from the clutches of the sea, after a two mile dike was built some time in the eighteen hundreds. A local cemetery had to be extended to accommodate the many bodies that used to wash up in the area. Most of the dead critters that I come across tend to be east of the lighthouse, where the direction of the beach changes slightly. 

Strangely, I have detected from the Point of Ayr to Presthaven Sands on many occasions and I have never found a single Victorian coin!   Sad

jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »

bit of useless info ,it used to be illegal for a fisherman to take the whole ray/fish from the beach as the female of the species have got very prominent genitalia and many old salty sea dog had their wicked way with a ray ,dont know if it is still in force

the mighty xp Deus
Cymro

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »

Hmmm - my brother in law used to reckon that's why you only saw a ray's (and skate's) wings displayed in the fishmongers . . .

Sounds a bit fishy to me . . .  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:02:32 PM by Cymro » Logged
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

yes and skate forgot about them ,yes a bit fishy indeed  Grin Grin

the mighty xp Deus
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:40 AM »

oh jcb i feel sick lol
octopuss much better shag

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal