Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Un-eventful day  (Read 3768 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: April 07, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »

The Mrs must be getting better; on Sunday she told me to get my self down to the beach on Monday and chill out, because I deserved a break. Well, zipped down to the coast and drove to a beach that I don't usually visit; Barkby. Had to pay for parking but £2 for four hours wasn't bad. It was interesting to be working a fresh area of sand and it felt rather like starting a new jigsaw puzzle.

The best I could manage was three rotting .303 cartridge cases, 2 x 5p decimals, and a big lead fishing weight with spikes. Gave up by lunch time and drove back to my regular beach only to find that a number of detectorists were already working the sands. Didn't fare much better and I only managed 1 x 20p, 2 x 1p, a fist full of WWII projectiles, and loads of copper fragments off projectile jackets. Not wishing to get too close to the other detectorists, I stayed away from the hot spots that I had intended working.

By mid afternoon I was starting to feel the effects of swinging the Safari for most of the day and am wondering if I should invest in a bungee harness? I have found that shortening the shaft on the Safari helps a little with it's weight. I picked up my EuroAce the other day and was amazed at just how light it is in comparison to the Safari. 

Any advice on metal detecting bungees would be gratefully received.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
hoarder
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »

this is by far the easiest to use and a good buy

i use it myself and it really does take the weight off your machine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-all-new-EASY-SWING-Bungee-Harness-from-Detectorbits-/131470118205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9c3acd3d
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »

You've done the important bit Chris in getting the lower shaft length correct and one other part that is often overlooked is to move the armcup up as far as your elbow will allow the closer you can get it to your elbow the less strain you will put on your forearm and thus your shoulder Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »

Thanks folks, I will have a closer look at the easy-swing. As for the armcup Geoff; the back rim of the armcup is within an inch of my elbow and I cant see how the cup can be moved in any direction on the Safari! Or am I missing something?

I am already moving more slowly with the Safari and am now sweeping a shorter arc, due to the shortening of the shaft. I must add that my finds have improved on my regular beach but I would like to get back to that longer reach per sweep and it looks as though the bungee may be the best way to go.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:55:28 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »

I find the big advantage of using a harness on the beach is that you can keep the machine suspended off the sand, especially a good idea when working close to the surf and minimises the chances of getting a wet machine from the occassional rogue wave.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »

If you ease the screw on the arm cup it will slide up and down Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

I have just had a peep at the EasySwing and I see that they are now selling a new and improved version. Is it problematic unclipping and clipping the bungee every time you dig a target?

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »

If you ease the screw on the arm cup it will slide up and down Wink

Ah Ha, forgot about the slot. Must have been a senior moment!  Roll Eyes

Thanks Geoff.  Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »

You don't unclip it Chris. Just leave it suspended. Saves a lot of messing around cleaning sand off and as previously said, no chance of a rogue wave catching you out. Also saves wear on the back of the arm cup.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »

Just watched a video and watched a guy using a bungee and it was used just as you have described. I have  looked around at descriptions and prices,and I have just ordered one from a guy on Ebay.

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »

High buddy,imuse the easy swing and I found it a great help,once you get used to it its a blessing,its a bit more awkward using it when you have a lot of layers on,would I reccommend it........YES👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 07:30:53 PM »

Bought me a bungee last week and am planning on using it next time out. Many thanks for the advice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal