Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi all :-)  (Read 2163 times)
Philip764
Rally attendee

British by birth, Welsh by the grace of God :-)

« on: December 09, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »

Hi all, I'm Phil from Llangynidr in Powys.  I'm a keen fly-fisherman and am looking to take up metal detecting as my out-of-season hobby and as it's my birthday next month it seemed silly not to ask my missus to get me a detector ......lol.  I have taken a look around and am opting for a Garrett Euroace ..... any comments would be appreciated. 
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »

The EuroAce is a nice little machine and you will make plenty of finds on pasture and dry beach sand. Wet saline sand presents a little of a problem for the EuroAce and one has to reduce the sensitivity on wet sand thus suffering a loss of depth.

Be patient, keep the coil close to the ground, and keep your swing steady. Here are a few EuroAce finds.

* Selection of finds.jpg (142.91 KB, 352x500 - viewed 249 times.)

* Some beach finds.jpg (183.53 KB, 350x490 - viewed 337 times.)

* Building project.jpg (206.82 KB, 759x465 - viewed 447 times.)

* 14 4 2015.jpg (289.15 KB, 488x704 - viewed 443 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Philip764
Rally attendee

British by birth, Welsh by the grace of God :-)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »

Thanks for that.  Most of my detecting will be done on farmlands and privately owned fields in my local area, do you live near a firing range ?....LOL, plenty of cases and bullet heads in your finds...
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »

We had a static caravan on the Talacre Beach caravan park for five years and I detected the sands there on a regular basis. During WWII there was an air to ground target range set-up in the sand dunes there. Detecting in the dunes is forbidden but loads of stuff spilled over onto the beach area and still gets in the way of detecting for more interesting finds. The beach was also land mined but luckily was de-mined in 1945. The MoD say that they can't guarantee that all the mines were accounted for, but I have never found one yet.  Wink

I upgraded to a MineLab Safari in January of this year and have found a large improvement in wet sand detection and discriminating out some of the WWII shrapnel and scrap but I have kept the EuroAce as a backup machine. Personally; I think you will be pleased with the EuroAce performance on pasture and farmland, but there may be others on here who would advise otherwise. It is my guess that a fly fisherman will take easily to metal detecting.

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting.

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal