Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you have done ??  (Read 4442 times)
digger

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

Shame on you Nick, as a big,bold, fire officer, you,re expected to put life and limb
forward, no matter what the situation is. Once again, shame. LOL STAN
Robot Rob

BRECON MDC, R.A.R.E

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »

Hi

Yes that's a very important point you make.

It's advisable to always wear gloves when metal detecting. I have used medical gloves but now use a pair
of thin strectchy ones, and I've also bought a pair of glazing gloves (they have the thumb and forefinger
cut off at the top) from Makro to wear when it gets colder.

Some of the things you can pick up from the soil are nasty. There's a bug linked to dog poo that can
be REALLY nasty/fatal. Even if you can't see the stuff it can still be present after rain has washed it away.

Even more important / VITAL is to cover up any cuts on the hands with plaster. I always carry plasters and
antiseptic stuff in the car. It's even a good idea to have it with you in the field.

I don't think there's anything like enough stress put on protecting yourself whilst detecting from soil germs.

One farmer told us he spread human waste fertiliser on his land!!  Needless to say we didn't go on that field Shocked

I would worry about wiels disease (Leptospirosis).
Animals such as rats, pigs, cows and dogs can give it to you.

Prognosis

The symptoms of leptospirosis can vary widely from person to person. Some people with the condition can have no symptoms at all, although most will experience symptoms that are similar to influenza (flu).

An estimated five to 10% of people will experience the most serious form of leptospirosis, which is also known as Weil’s disease. Weil’s disease can cause:

•kidney failure,
•jaundice,
•shock,
•internal bleeding, and
•inflammation of the heart.
Leptospirosis can be treated using antibiotics. Hospital admission is usually required for the most serious form of leptospirosis because the body’s functions will need to be supported until the infection has passed.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »

SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS BAD !!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Nick
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »

Hi Stan,

I do attend things I don't really want to but then, I don't have a choice. It's nice to have an option regarding cow pats and the answer is definitely no  Smiley Smiley

Well put RJM and Robert. I don't use gloves but I use antiseptic wipes which I keep in the back of the car. Top marks for pointing out the potential hazards.
mark barrett

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »

dig it everytime mate,

swing low, aim high

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal