Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: finds photographs suggestion  (Read 5261 times)
zorro
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »

Just a suggestion, would it be possible to catagorize the Gallery section into sub-sections? i.e coins-celtic.          coins-roman. coins -hammered etc.
I ask because we have  a wealth of great finds that are just getting "lost" to time as they get posted under "detector finds", get a few "well done " comments then they get replaced by more "finds from today".
perhaps after members have posted their pics under the "detector finds " section they could then post them under the correct section in the gallery.
if you take a look at UK detector finds database site you'll see what i mean, its really good for research and verifying your own finds.
ukdfd site:   http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/index.php

im sure we could do something equally as good.
my Mary groat on the site:   http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=740&cat=66
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »

thats a geart idea ZORRO m8 Wink
colin

dig everything

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »

you are right there zorro all finds should be recorded i have posted a few pics on here recently in a day or two they are history and only a handful of members have actually seen them, posting all my finds in the gallery as well,thanks.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »

thats an excellent idea kev...not only will they be on view always,but they will act as a reference for future finds....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Debbie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »

I agree Byron - it is handy to have one area as a visual reference library.
Great idea.
Deb
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »

yeah,   a jolly good idea me finks too,   Nice Mary Love Token there too Kev,
Alan

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »

I think theres something in the pipeline Kev , its a time factor at the moment

A lot of valuable time and effort is being syphoned into less productive tasks at the moment.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »

the idea is an excellent one.

i just hope that time spent on the unproductive tasks is quickly turned into the productive ones.

it's a shame that time is wasted on trivialities - [probably caused by inappropriate behaviour!].  As my local GP often delights in telling me "90% of my  work is caused by 10% of patients!!!!!!! 

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
zorro
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Rob totally understand that yourself, neil and geoff have other "issues" to address re: this site (hopefully they'll be sorted soon) it was just a suggestion .....not a complaint mind  Wink
im sure we can build a data base to rival UKDN, if not then surely the best Welsh data base.
keep up the good work guys
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »

it's a nice idea, but I have to ask why we would want to try and rival UKDFD? the facility is already there to record your finds and a good search engine to locate finds by region, period, person even detector.
They are struggling to get recognised by PAS and a splinter recording site I feel can only do the aims of UKDFD harm.
just my thoughts.
zorro
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »

chef its not my intention to do  "harm " to UKDFD in any way, and i hope that intention didnt come across in my post.I use UKDFD myself, have posted there and used it extensively and agree with you it is a very good site.
 the main reason for the suggestion is that photos of finds that are posted here get lost in a day or two's time as they dont get submitted to the gallery. Dont know how a "Welsh" database would affect UKDFD, as long as finds arent posted on both, which could be misleading. surely the more finds that are acuratley recorded and identified on accessible databases can only be good for our hobby, and our historical understanding?
If having our own database isn't practical, for what ever reason, then maybe a link to UKDFD could be used?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:05:48 PM »

Oh God Zorro, no I never thought you were, and I do think it's a brilliant idea. My only concern is that if the detecting fraternity isn't united behind one recording site then that could be seen by PAS as disorganisation. your idea for a type of sub directory for Wales, attached somehow to the main UKDFD is brilliant. I wonder if Peterh would know if that would be in principle, possible. I think that an email to Gary Brun might be an idea.
bigjase
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »

Thats a good idea i agree with it!
Debbie

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »

Zorro - are you thinking more on the lines of just having a pictorial database on DW to show what the members have found whilst they have been out and about, rather than a 'definitive catalogue' of finds like on UKDFD?  I understand that finds are verified on UKDFD before they are entered onto the database for public display.

Just an idea, but it would be quite nice to have DW members' finds on the DW site, in some kind of sub-section structure as Zorro originally posted on the 14th Nov.
It would also be useful for the area to be divided into members finds from Wales and members finds outside of Wales - there are a number of detectorists who mutter on that there is nothing any good to find in Wales and they jump into their cars and disappear over the bridge every week - I think it would be great to show off what has been unearthed in Wales.  Take, for example, Steve's two axe heads - I would be happy to dig those up any day of the week!  The only info to be recorded is maybe the time of year found, was it in pasture / ploughed / beach / river, and the county (ie 'Glamorgan') - just to build up a picture of the general areas of Wales where coins and artefacts are coming from.

Quite a wealth of information is recorded on UKDFD, and I think it is a totally different ball game to compare posting on UKDFD and members just wanting to share their finds with other momber on the DW website.  Members can post items of particular interest onto UKDFD as well if they wish.
So I am not too sure about needing a link to UKDFD - what does everyone else think ??

Deb
zorro
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »

without wanting to drag on this topic. my main reason for suggesting a database was
A) to avoid "losing" some of the great finds that are posted on this site.
B) to make researching coins/artifacts easier. Taking nothing away from PeterH who does a fantastic job.
C) to attract more "visitors" to the site, thus increasing its appeal.
D) we'd be the only welsh site (that i know of ) with a comprehensive database.
E) a database solely made up of welsh finds might help the hobby gain favor with the likes of CADW (welsh heritage) and other welsh historical societies.

at no point did i mean to lessen the UKDFD site's impact, which i think is probably the best out there, and would urge anyone who hasnt visited the site to do so.
i just thought a catagorized database for "our" site would raise our profile.
but i do take into account everyones points/concerns posted.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal