Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought an ultrasonic cleaner today . . .  (Read 2917 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 23, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »

Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner this afternoon from Lidl for a bargain £16 - experimenting to see how good it is on jewellery first. then I am going to try a few detecting finds out of curiosity. I'm not holding my breath, but lets see.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
JRD

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »

Hi Neil,

I bought one from eBay a few weeks back it does get some of the crud off but I think I was expecting more from it.

Let me know how you get on with yours?

Cheers,
Jonathan

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »

I've used one for a few years but to be honest they are for jewellery which is what these smaller units are made for, great at cleaning out intricate patterned areas on finds and for removing grease based marks but will not really touch tarnishing of any sort.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »

I found the best thing for cleaning crud copper coins is brasso, a cloth, tootbrush and wire sponge

I wash the coin, smother it in copper polish and rub it with wire sponge - not too hard - then toothbrush and
wipe with cloth.

I repeat the process, using lots of copper polish, until the coin is a copper/buttery colour. In between I
leave in a dish of Olive Oil.

I don't bring the coin back to a gleaming copper colour but try to leave it a bit patinated.

I'm currently doing a Cartwheel Penny and have taken before and will taken pics afterwards.

The 100 odd years of dirt, wear, and decay is ground in. The only way I know is to be a bit hard to get
the crud off. I don't feel I'm destroying the coin but giving it a new leash of life for others to enjoy.

I will post the pics on here as soon as I'm finished.

shunggav

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »

Good tips rjm i use a littlee wire brush.with soft bushes. And the ultrasonic cleaner make way to much noise for me and i could never see much diffence

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal