Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a wise move, or not?  (Read 1833 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: January 01, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »

I recently heard that some people put a smear of silicone between the coil and the coil cover on their detectors; thus eliminating the need to constantly take the cover off to remove sand, dirt, and moisture. It sounded like a good idea to me, but could it cause unforeseen problems later down the line?  Undecided

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »

No problems that I can think of just as long as it's clean and dry when you do it but remember only a smear as depending on how often you detect you will need to renew the cover every year or so Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »

Yep I'm with Geoff, see no reason why not.  Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »

Only objection is cleaning it off when you eventually have to take the cover off.  As it's not hard to take the cover off and swill it with a  hoze pipe why bother. It only takes a few mins.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »

just make sure you use ordinary silicone and not any form of adhesive type in a tube like stixall or the like or you will have a world of pain when it comes to changing the cover ordinary silicone can easily be cut off with a Stanley blade  Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »

Many thanks for the replies folks. I stumbled upon the idea on an other metal detecting forum and initially thought that it may have been a good idea but have eventually decided to put it on the back burner for the time being and continue periodically removing the coil cover and cleaning away the moisture and debris.  Wink

Always cautious, I remember a record produced by the "Goons"  that carried the message
"the quality of this record may be improved by rubbing it lightly with sandpaper". Some people actually carried out the advice and then complained to the record company!  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 05:25:12 PM »

Hi to all,and a very happy new year,now onto the question of silicone on and around coil/cover.Well it was recommended to me to use silicone especially as I do a lot of beach detecting.It was explained to me that on a lot of our great beaches we have a large quantity of aluminium particals within the sand and if by chance you manage to pick up any micro globuals and they wedge down between coil and coilcover resulting in a major falceing event,not desirable when your a mile or two from your car or it's blowing a force ten !!!!!,silicone every time,it don't look pretty but it certainly works without any  detrement to the coil whatsoever.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal