Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you know the fields you detect In ?  (Read 4354 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

Attached is a Photo I took on Wednesday 12 May 2010 and this thread is intended to make fellow members ask themselves about the fields they detect in and perhaps recognise field shapes and help you with hunting for new fields in the future. Feel free to tell me what you see in the photograph and This time next week I will give a description and if it is OK with the Admin team I will give a Really good book on Landscape recognition as a Prize at the next DW rally if any body gives the correct info and why they are good fields..
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »

wow...those sheep look like ants down there mate !

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »

the fields furthest away seem to be surrounded by a circular hedgerow that could have been a defence moat / earthworks....at the top of the field are cropmarks which could have been a fort with natural defences behind it in the shape of a high hill.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
wolver1ne

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »

i would go most prob go near  the field top right, right in front of three houses i think they are anyways looks like theres a old part of the village there plenty of sheep or rocks there too
ORDOVIC
Rally attendee

DFX & MXT user

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:48:25 AM »

Me personally, I would detect close to the field boundaries which are the most conspicuous in the photo, as these are quite old, hence the number of different types of trees that are growing in them.

From experience detecting close to old field boundaries have produced Hammered coins for me.

ORDOVIC

Dig it all !.......Explain to the wife where you been later.
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 07:05:34 AM »

I would ask myself why I was being stalked by Batman...

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
waltonbasinman
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Byron well done for spotting the curving feature, but that is not the reason why the fields are interesting. The curving feature is the remnants of a hollow way that would have once been a way for getting from A to B. This is part of the interest.. Ordovic is also partly right in that the field boundaries have an age to them but this again is only part of the story. Two guesses that are pieces of the jigsaw but some more pieces to find ladies and gents. Well done though and Techony that is not Batman it is a water butt for the sheep drinker.  Grin
Robot Rob

BRECON MDC, R.A.R.E

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »

The way the land is devided into fields, a more modern farm land the fields would have a more orderly shape to them.
And the one field looks like it has foundations under the surface.
ORDOVIC
Rally attendee

DFX & MXT user

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »

I have managed to enlarge the photo as I was unable to do so last time

The Farm at the bottom right looks like it has a cross road next to it (Correct me if I am wrong) if so the fields either side of it would be worth detecting,also the field to the left of it has two straight features on it they could be old water courses or it,s. something modern like a water pipeline.

One very noticeable thing is the main road in the photo,could it be a Roman road?

ORDOVIC

Dig it all !.......Explain to the wife where you been later.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »

Again Ordovic and Robot Rob are sort of on the fringes of the answer. Any more guesses folks. Will give a full rundown on the weekend.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »

I'm dying to know the answer of this one, I've always been fascinated with how people can read fields. 

Really good question WBM  Smiley

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »

Top centre field, right of arch shaped treesand right of burnt out section, in front of 3 or 4 houses . There seems to be remains of small village, it would also be on higher ground away from posiible water way (river)?

Interested to know the answer.

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »

Well here's my two penneth worth,

The location in general has the necessary water source for habitation and is on what seems to be a major route, the main road though is new.

X. the curvilinear feature hear could be a pre Roman settlement enclosure.
X. the fields with a L shape are the remains of older field boundaries, possibly Medieval strip fields, but too large for a celtic field system.
X. the rectilinear feature here could be the bank of a Roman fortlet, which also begs the question, was there a settlement (hill fort) on the top of the hill before quarrying started making this a police station of sorts as found at Danebury, Dolebury and Ham hill etc.
X. the coming together of at least 5 routes asks whether this is an accident of geography or if this was a destination of some worth.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 05:45:30 PM »

What happened?
waltonbasinman
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »

Right here we go I won,t bore you with mumbo jumbo. A few members sort of fringed on things and did spot that some of the field boundaries are old. The main feature are these field boundaries and how they are laid out in that the long regular spaced boundaries marked out with red lines are basically Bronze Age Reave boundaries one of the earliest type of land division in the UK. The high ground around is littered with barrows and the other side of the hill with the Quarry is the Walton Basin one of the largest Neolithic / Bronze Age Landscapes in Britain. The Yellow line is the Old Hollow way from Medieval settlement of Harpton to the Medieval settlement Of Gladestry, both in the Doomsday book. We know this route is later than the fields as it can be seen to cut through the field banks. The purple and Orange lines are the Tramway and Old Railway line and date to the early 1800,s. These can be seen to be later than the fields as well. The green lines show the medieval common or strip fields on a slightly different alignment but more important they can be seen to again cut through the field boundaries of the reaves and are the regulation size of medieval strip fields. The blue line down the centre is the stream and the dark red lines are boundaries that are later and are impossible to date without further investigation. X marks the spot of earthworks that have remained undated as no investigation has been carried out on them but local folklore is that it was the site of a church but there is no documentary evidence yet for this. The last piece of interest to the sight was really hard to spot but it is the picture title Burlingjobb. This is an Old English(Saxon Period) name and is a most unusual name for Wales. So basically these are the remains of some of the oldest fields you will see in Wales that as of yet have produced a few Roman Grots and not a lot else. But we shall persevere.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal