Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should The Words( Fair Market Price) Be Dropped On Treasure Valuations?  (Read 10574 times)
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »

i do think it is a case of the establishment ie BM and a select band of valuers , that are so far removed from common sense thinking in their ivory towers, that as finders we should be grateful for what we get "nutritious cabbage leaves!".*
  With more universities closing down their archeology depts and courses, the bulk of important chance finds will come more and more into  our area of experience.
The sooner the treasure committee realises that we are not a bunch of ignorant hobbyists, you have only got to listen to many of the conversations on a rally or in club meetings , just how well informed most detectorists are. This may be down to the accessability of information on the net and forums like this.
I agree that with increasing numbers of finders getting short changed by the treasure process , more items will go unreported or sold privately. This will give detractors the ammunition to say  the process isnt working , "lets ban detecting"

* 1970's comedy charactor, the lady of the manor  , who would do patronising acts of charity, distributing cabbage leaves to the poor
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »

The words shouldn't be dropped.........just complied with!

Thic can be achieved by it going to auction and the museum bidding along with any other interested party.

This would ensure it was a fair price as it would be what people would be willing to pay.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:06:54 AM by rjm » Logged

seeker

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

You can argue with them until you are blue in the face, but they will disregard any letters of appeal and any new evidence you supply will end up in the bin.

They will only except a valuation off an acknowledged dealer who happen to be on there books,

where can i get an  independent  valuation that they will take note of ??  its for bronze age gold

avalon

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Nigel Mills or Chris Rudd may be your best bet,  but are you sure your wife wouldn’t want some nice new gold earrings. Wink

seeker

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »

thanks for the names will check em out  Smiley
for what i think im going to be offered its going to be a silver pair ,
 Wink

Spooyt Vane
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »

The downside are the charitable trusts ,who have bought treasure by valuation for the museuims Mostly detecting finds  and now cant aford with interest hikes on their funds  Roll Eyes
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »

The words shouldn't be dropped.........just complied with!

Thic can be achieved by it going to auction and the museum bidding along with any other interested party.

This would ensure it was a fair price as it would be what people would be willing to pay.
Slight problem with that Bob , is what auction house would you use. The big boys , Sotherbys and Bonnams used to charge standard commision rates on the reserve price even if the lot didnt sell.
Smaller houses might not get the international coverage to achieve maximum market price.
 On the "wrong day" a good lot could go for very little, leaving the finder in the same situation but by a different route
avalon

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »

I personally would prefer the auction houses, and if it went for very little on the day , that’s life. I would rather lose out on the open market, than be stitched up,  be the T.V.C,  and forever be thinking what if!  Huh
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:29:35 PM by avalon » Logged

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »

Bonhams dont do "wrong days"  Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »

Auction houses are the wrong people in my book to do valuations as they would work for their own interests....Collectors and coin experts with indepent minds, i would choose ...  Smiley Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal