Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: getting land  (Read 3034 times)
markymark123

« on: August 06, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

I have been on the phone all day today asking nicely to farmers if they have land i can use my detector on , iv'e had nothing but attitude and a blunt no back lol, any advice please ? i would love to have somewhere to take the son while him being off school for the summer holidays.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »

Am not surprised, its their busiest time of the year and many farmers don;t want to be distracted by anything, until the harvest is in.

However, well done on picking up the phone and getting this far .... it takes time, but you will be successful in due course

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »

I never think the phone approach is a good idea. See it from the Farmers point of view.  He's talking to someone he's never met and can't see.
Sad to say detecting doesn't have a very good reputation. For all he knows you could be some thoroughly disreputable thug.
If you must use the phone try making an appointment to see him. But I would suggest the direct approach. Most of them go home for lunch and evening meals.
Look smart, be polite and don't take too long. Just knock on the door and ask. If he's not there then Mrs Farmer is usually in the know.
And if he's home a sure winner would be to take your little boy with you.
You'll still get some that might say no but theres always another one.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
markymark123

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »

I'm going to take the son with me tomorrow  Shocked i know a farmer where i used to fish at his lakes i might pay him a visit , but i know he have had groups on there before that have not found alot, but it will give the son his first treasure hunt i guess lol ....................... i wont give up ha ha
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

If you can detect on his fields then when you go to another farmer (in the same area) you can use his name as a reference.
Or even better if you get to talking to the one you know then ask him if he knows someone who'll let you go there..They  are like us. They have a grape vine, most of them know each other.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
diggerdave1

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »

Get yourself a FID or NCMD identity card...go visit a landowner face ;)face...and yes take your son along too! Smiley may help.. Wink
mark74

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:32:48 AM »

Hi mate,knocking on the doors is the way forward.just gained another farm.yesterday.i was expecting a knock back.as they have never let anyone on there ground.some farmers like to have you on the ground as there as been spates of rustling and agritheft going on.around my area.plan of action is always good.let them know what your interested in finding.then ask about detecting the ground.remember the handshake ; ;)on introduction.I'm quite lucky in a way as i grew up with a few of the farmers sons.and worked as a dairy hand for one of them.i always offer help around on the farm if they ever need it.i don't know what area you are but if you are stuck.i have  an acre and a half of pasture and woodland.if you want to take your son there.it belongs to me.i have never run the detector over it myself.crazy really.i prefer spending countless hours researching.everbody Else's ground.field walking.or spotting up future ground.order yourself a copy of Raymond Selkirk's book.on the trail of the legions.awesome book.lot of information in it to pick out the right farms.hope that helps a bit.the Deus is now charged.so I'm off to bed.good luck mark
markymark123

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »

thanks for the advice mark , i'm in wales , and i'm off out today on a misson lol taking the son to a few farms and gonna try and get myself some fields thanks again

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal