Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: peoples perception  (Read 1928 times)
jojo
Rally attendee

« on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:50 AM »

Hello all, I've only been detecting since February,  but have come across a really negative attitude to our hobby. Has anyone else come across this?  Work colleagues, family and friends all seem to think it's funny. Don't know why! I have a real interest in history and this hobby fits the bill for me. A few weeks ago I was detecting a scheduled monument with archaeologicalist and still encountered this negative attituded that metal detecourists are night hawkers. Has anyone else had this problem?
Bill from Lachine

carpe diem = seize the day.

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:57 AM »

jojo,

You better get used to it.....most of us are lucky to make enough finds to cover our out of pocket costs on equipment, etc...

It's a hobby pure and simple and we try to make a few interesting finds along the way.

Regards + HH

Bill

carling2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »

almost 8 years for me and im still swinging and still getting a negative attitude from people,,as bill says its a hobby and youll be fine if you treat it as such,if you start getting into the mindset that your a pro and your saving history and feel your doing the study of archaeology a favour by digging up history then the negative comments will sting a little bit more ,,,its a hobby plain and simple  and can be enjoyable and intresting what other people think is there business,everything in life attracts critics and unfortunately its rife in swinging land.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

I'm with the above posts totally and it's never been any different but if you stand back for a moment and take look at it through the public's eyes (and understanding) it becomes a little bit more obvious why Undecided
As a micro hobby the majority of people don't personally know anybody who metal detects or if they do it's usually "a guy up the road" and thus the chances of them seeing any interesting finds is pretty slight and our enthusiasm for a little bit of broken red pottery (Samian) is frankly just plane weird if you don't understand what it represents.
Now take a look at the physical "image" and thus perception of the average detectorist and we do seem a little strange  Embarrassed we wander around fields or beaches mostly on our own isolated from the world by a pair of oversized headphones that wouldn't of looked out of place in the 1970's waiving a stick at the ground and carrying a spade, now add to this the attire which sadly often encompasses combats or some other piece of military garb attached to a body that plainly wasn't designed for military service or if it was it's a distant memory and I do include myself here   Roll Eyes And when we do finally have our overweight geriatric Rambo assembled, armed as he is with his electric "Stick", spade and headphones lets not forget to add a pair of wellies for good measure Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Just cast yourself back to your 20's you're in a bar and you have just started chatting up the woman, or man, of your dreams, tonight could be the night to end all nights and your out to impress is there anywhere in your repertoire of chat up lines the two words "Metal Detectorist"? if so then stop wasting your time and go and play darts instead Grin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:37:46 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
jojo
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Lol, when you put it like that Geoff I can see your point.
Christoph1945
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »

Although I see metal detecting as a hobby, I find it to be an education, an opportunity to exercise, and above all.........an adventure. And what an adventure.  Wink

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »

I find a mix of reactions to detecting.

My work colleagues are quite interested (although they think I am weird anyway).

My family mostly think it is an obsession - my in-laws can't understand why I do metal detecting (mother in law was president of her local historical society - enough said)

I also seem to be 'challenged' by people quite often - 'uh, what are you doing'? 'Do you have permission to do that?' 'why are you doing that on our common / park' etc, etc. I look on it as an exercise in personal fortitude - I resist the temptation to make some remark about 'do you have permission from your missus to come out of your house and ask me that question' and just reply that I do indeed have permission, do they want to speak to the relevant people / see my insurance card / etc, etc - they either then completely change and start asking me questions about what I've found - ringpulls mainly - or just look dumbfounded that their little bit of civicness backfired to some extent, although I almost always thank them for asking me.

And then you have some people who ask me if I am looking for treasure - to which I reply 'not in this field!' as that's pretty true.

You just get used to it - I'm hoping that it will help me get better at dealing with awkward customers / managers......Smiley
chantalpoole

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »

i think people waving a metal detector around will always attract attention.Iv had people settle down on benches and eat sandwiches while watching my every move.
I think it is in all people to seek things out.Its the hunter gatherer in all of us .I do a lot more hunting than gathering thats for sure  Grin
I get asked all the time if iv found any treasure and if im really unlucky i end up babysitting a kid or two that follows me across the beach.
I tend to avoid busy beach times you never get any peace.

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
galoshers

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »

best to keep quiet about tekting activities as folks look upon you as a closet rapist akin to jack the ripper .
dont tell anybody you do it 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal