Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground test  (Read 3265 times)
crashland

Garrett Ace 250 user.

« on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »

Hello all,

I want to do some ground tests with my machine but the wife is getting fed up of me digging holes in the back garden. I realise that this may be a daft idea, but, if I filled a plastic bowl with earth then put the item underneath it and scanned over the top of the bowl would it be the same as burying the item 5 or 6 inches down?
If it works then I could just lift the bowl and remove the item without a) digging a hole to bury it, and b) digging the hole again to retrieve it.
Hmmmm?

Crash out!
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »

I read about this sort of ground test in Treasure hunter Magazine & can confirm there`s no problem in testing your machine this way .
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:19:27 PM by Stig » Logged

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »

I personally think that it wont give you an accurate test. Your detector will react different to  Items in settled soil. In fact your detector will probably  perform better than the garden test indicates.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

I agree that any test is better than none...you can at least see the effect of say increasing discrimination but Rob is right saying that the results will always be slanted.

Why not wait till your wife is out and just bury a few coins/targets and leave them. They will need time to settle in and the ground to recover its normal matrix.

One thing to do after you have at least a basic in ground test bed is to take each new detector or coil you buy and note down some figures. If the detector has pre sets you could use these for each test. If not check all metal and then discrimination at a level that knocks out a set item such as a one inch nail.
You then have results that should be the detector or coil at its peak performance. Recheck every few months to make certain that the results are not getting worse. This could be a sign the detector is developing a fault or more likely the coil is going off tune.
I've had this a lot. If you don't check, a year later you are wondering why your finds are down or why you are only getting copper coins on the beach and little cupro nickel or gold.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »

you are right there rob not the same as settled ground for sure well said mate Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Landyman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »

There is no difference in filling a bowl with earth or filling a hole that you have just dug. 
We have lots of pot plants in the garden with soil that has been in them for years. I have tested detectors by putting the item on the ground and then trying different size pots on top of it. Much quicker than digging holes. Might not be quite as good as testing on items that have been in the ground for a while but still much better results than air testing.
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »

Hello Crashland Smiley if you want to to carry out in ground test without disturing the ground matrix !! which you will do every time you dig a hole to plant a coin dig a hole approximately six inches in diameter down to say fourteen inches in depth you can then either press coins in the the side wall or remove a small amount of soil with a penknife or screwdriver to insert your coins at differant depths around the hole failing this an exposed banking is ideal just slot your coins in and away to go ground matrix intact hope this is of use to you good hunting  ;)mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal