Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cupro-nickel cleaning????  (Read 2614 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

Popped out to a site for 2 hours this afternoon only to find that the grass is growing really really well, too well in fact as it was nearly up to my knees. It was hard going and not much to show for it, but I did get 2 old pennies and a 1950 Half Crown out of the same hole plus 5 one pound coins so it paid for the petrol.

My question is about the half crown, being 1950 it missed being silver by 4 years and due to the normal acids in the soil it has stained that reddy brown colour. It is in very good condition other than that and although it is not worth anything I would like to try and clean it up without barrelling it.

So any ideas?HuhHuh

Che
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

hi geoff try linning a small plastic container with foil shiney side up put a teaspoon of soada crystals in it,pour hot water over the crystals and drop the coin in.you will here it fizz, it will clean most of the rubbish off.remove the coin after 10 mins and use a wooden coctail stick to rub the stuburn bits of dirt.repeat the process i use this process now and again for this type of silver works well for me.best of luck ian. 

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
simon c

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »

Geoff,i know a lot of people will shun this method but it does work,as the coin has no value,try useing very fine grade wire wool,brush the coin in the same direction very gently,can be done dry or wet with washing up liquid,or you can use lemon juice or citric acid,word of warning though citric acid sometimes tarnishes the coin and changes it's colour pink or orange.Here are a few i've cleand sorry about the picture not great lighting.
hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »

They look good Simon, good advice there. A quids worth !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal