Yesterdays buy... East Wiltshire unit

(1/5) > >>

Dale:
I thought id show the newest coin to the collection, its a East Wiltshire silver unit. Iv done a small but interesting cut and paste below... Thanks to detectorists ;)

The East Wiltshire tribe is a small group striking uninscribed coinage in gold (mainly base) silver & bronze. For many years the East Wilts coins were looked upon as crude contemporary copies of the Dobunnic series but thanks to many more being found by metal detectorists in recent years they are now recognised as much more than this. Found in North & East Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and occasionally in West Berkshire this tribe occupied land sandwiched between the Dobunni to the North & Atrebates to the South both of which must have been friendly neighbours as if not then surely the East Wilts Tribe would never have been as successful as to strike quite a series of coinage.

celticspikey:
Quote from: Dale on December 10, 2014, 07:03:11 PM

I thought id show the newest coin to the collection, its a East Wiltshire silver unit. Iv done a small but interesting cut and paste below... Thanks to detectorists ;)

The East Wiltshire tribe is a small group striking uninscribed coinage in gold (mainly base) silver & bronze. For many years the East Wilts coins were looked upon as crude contemporary copies of the Dobunnic series but thanks to many more being found by metal detectorists in recent years they are now recognised as much more than this. Found in North & East Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and occasionally in West Berkshire this tribe occupied land sandwiched between the Dobunni to the North & Atrebates to the South both of which must have been friendly neighbours as if not then surely the East Wilts Tribe would never have been as successful as to strike quite a series of coinage.

Another one for the collection Dale, they are fasanating little coins, and that's s nice example mate.   ;) ;)

Dale:
Cheers Paul ;) They are fascinating coins. The good thing about the Dobunni tribe is there's a massive variety of units,  but one thing iv always wondered was why there dished??

nonker10:
iv'e found a couple of quarter gold staters locally in hereford  one of corio and one uninscribed and they are beautiful coins.a freind of mine found a full gold stater 20 yards from me and the workmanship is stunning.

probono:
The dishing is just how they made the dies - I sometimes think it helped centre (and hold) the blank when striking - if you think about it there are many dished ancients - even coins of Alexander the great have a dished reverse and domed (by virtue of the image of 'Alexander') on the obverse 0 it also makes it a bit more an imposing coin for less metal it seems

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page