Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cardiff scan club  (Read 3472 times)
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« on: July 07, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »

In the late 70's I joined the newly formed Cardiff Scan Club. The founding Chairman was Barrie Browning and the Founding Treasurer was Graham Mould. They took me under their wing and we went on forays together. I learnt a lot from these two trailblazers of the hobby, and to this day feel indebted to them. Like many before me I exited the hobby due to other interests like courting, etc but the hobby remained in my blood. Because of their everlasting inspiration I returned to the hobby in the 1990's.

Up until about 6 years ago I noticed from the club round ups in the Searcher that Barrie Browning was still active. Does any members know if he is still around now or a member of the club still? He would be in his eighties now. At the time he lived in Mercia Road, Tremorfa, Cardiff. I see the name Pat Goode around . I believe he was in the club at the same time so he may be of help if he is still a member. I would like to visit Barrie if he is still around so any help would be much appreciated. My full name is Alan Maidment and I lived at the time in Marion St, Splott. Thanks.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »

Pat is a member on Detecting Wales under the name Ancient Pat and is a good friend to many members here - myself included. I was a SCAN member myself for around 7 years.

I'M not sure if Barry is still detecting. Stan or The Doc will probably know.

All the best

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »

Thanks Neil. I will send a pm to Pat over the next couple of days.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »

Barrie is also a member of DW and up until recently came along fairly regularly to our rallies with Pat. I believe he currently has a few health problems and hasn't been able to come but Pat will be able to fill you in.

Geoff
Seasider

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »

Barry is still an active member of Cardiff Scan Club. He is one of our "Life" members.
I've spoken to him and he would dearly like a chat, so I've sent you a pm with his phone no.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:10:27 AM by Seasider » Logged
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »

Thank you Neil, Proconsul and Seasider for replying. Thanks also for the pm with Barrie's phone number Seasider. Brilliant result. I will speak to him sometime this week and look forward to meeting him again after all these years. As I said, in my eyes he was one of the trailblazers in the hobby. Regards, Alan

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
ancientpat

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

Hi Alan,
I have just read your posting I have seen your name in the mags.in connection with the Yeovil club and wondered if it was the same young lad who once belonged to our club. Barrie Browning is a close mate of mine and we still detect when we can. He is not too well at the moment but if you are now a member of DW we may bump into you at a rally.
Graham Mold died a few years ago and I am the only founding member left of the Scan club from 1977, Barrie joined after me and at that time I was the club treasurer.

Pat.
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

Hi Pat. Yes that Yeovil MDC member is the same young lad who was a member of the Scan Club all those years ago. I am much older now but still young at heart. I am sorry to hear about Graham Mold. I managed to catch up with him some years back and we reminisced for several hours. He had retired from the hobby then due to heart problems. Do you remember his Reliant Robin?

I have always looked out over the years for the Scan Club in the magazine club roundups. You and Barry have had some excellent finds in you time. I will look forward to catching up with you sometime on a DW rally. I will be at the Bridgewater one on the 15th. I still possess my Cardiff Scan Club pullover and original cloth badge from all those years ago. What a saddo hey!!

Alan.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
ancientpat

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

Hi Alan,
Nice of you to confirm that you were that young lad from all those years ago at the Yeovil club now !!!
Yes I do remember the Reliant Robin and you sound as if you haven't lost your love for the hobby which is great.
Barrie and I can't make the next DW rally as Barrie has problems walking any distance and unless we can be sure that the parking is close to the search site we have to give it a miss. I am sure when the stubble fields are available it will not be so much of a problem, but we will look forward to bumping into you wearing your Scan club jumper if you can still get into it !!!!

All the best

Pat. Wink Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »

Thanks Pat. Will look forward to catching up with you some time.

Best wishes,

Alan.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal