Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The stranger and the ring  (Read 2910 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: September 28, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

By Tim Butcher   Cape Town

When my father died he left me a ring which had once belonged to his father. But before long I was thrown into a panic - I had lost it. Racked with guilt, I tuned to a stranger for help.

Gold drew many to South Africa and it was gold that has just reaffirmed my faith in this muddled, mosaic nation.

As a Briton living in Cape Town, I recently received the call nobody wants. My father had passed away. After the funeral in England, my mother showed me dad's will. It mostly went to her with one named item for me - a gold ring, worn for decades by dad and before him, by his own father.

I've never really been into jewellery, yet when I slipped the ring on my left pinky it felt somehow right. Consoled in my grief by dad's beloved bling, I flew home to South Africa.

All was well until a wintry Saturday when I walked on our local beach. As so often in the Cape, it was fierce windy, a blur of sand and spindrift. When I got home and lit the fire, I looked at my left hand. The ring wasn't there.

An emotional tsunami washed over me - shock, horror, remorse, anger, powerlessness. And when it pulled back, all that was really left was guilt - a potential life sentence of guilt. Hoping against hope it had not been dropped on the beach, I looked everywhere else. Maybe the car? I stripped it to no avail. Maybe the veranda where I dried off the dog? No luck. Maybe the house? Nothing.

It must have been the beach, an area stretching 200m from the car park - the ring, a very small needle in a very large and tidally wet haystack.

I was out at first light the next day but with no luck, spirits dimming. My only hope was this - the wind had been so strong the ring could have been buried. It might just still be there, somewhere.

I contacted local metal detector users. Two came to help, one even lending me his gear. "Take as long as you need," he said. Days of searching passed forlornly. I found an old mobile phone, circa 2001, a 50 cent coin and a lot of bottle tops.

I rang mum that long week but was not brave enough to confess. If I had to tell her I had lost dad's ring, I had to be able to say I had done everything humanly possible to find it.

The beach in South Africa where the ring was lostImage copyright Tim Butcher
With my hopes failing, a third detectorist - for that is how they like to be known - offered to drive from an hour away to help, "I have only one condition," he said: "I don't want payment even if I find something."

So late on Sunday, eight days after the ring was lost, Alan arrived. Fluid dynamics of wet sand being what they are, by now the ring could have burrowed anything up to 50cm down. Was this the last throw of the dice?

Alan surveyed the search area. He talked about the wind, the tide, the currents and then he got to work. Up and down he ploughed, earphones on, criss-crossing dry sand, wet sand and even the approaching surf.

His gear was so good, he was picking up something every three or four paces, ring pulls and other metallic junk so I rather gave up watching closely every time he started to dig.

And then, a miracle. From a hole 40cm down, Alan had heaped wet sand and his eye, tempered by years of peering into briny swill, had seen something. Calling out for me to come over, calmly he said the best of words: "There's your ring, Tim."

This could not be happening. My eyes, prickly with tears and blurry with expectation, couldn't see straight to begin with. And then there it was, dad's ring, his dad's ring, 90 years of accompanying the Butcher boys on life's journey and lost by me on a beach in Africa after a few weeks' custody.

Alan grinned, the kids capered, the dog joined in and for a moment all was madness. I hugged this big, bearded stranger.

And private though this miracle was, there was a greater miracle at work. My saviour refused all reward. He was firm, he was insistent. No he would not accept a fee, no he did not want petrol money, no he did not want a celebratory drink nor fish and chips to drive home with. He wanted nothing more than to give something back.

I went down to that beach that day to find a ring. What I actually found was more valuable still - that there remain some decent souls out there. Now, at last, I can call mum.

* _85748965_1940s-philip-butcher976.jpg (41.48 KB, 624x434 - viewed 389 times.)

* _85749758_ring976.jpg (25.83 KB, 624x351 - viewed 390 times.)

* _85748967_2015-ring-alan-the-rescuer9.jpg (46.38 KB, 624x414 - viewed 396 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Kent
NWDD Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »

Great story  Smiley

XP Deus/CTX 3030
2015/16
1x Copper hammered
14x hammered
78x milled silver
6x roman brooch
12x silver
15x spindle whorls
3x love token
7x roman coin
1x Republican denarius
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »

Would you believe, John told me about this one early this morning, thought I might be interested.
Another good story with a happy ending.

Thanks for posting Neil, ( he had missed the South African bit )

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

What a story Neil, and more to the point a successful ending, it all adds now to the history of the ring.. Smiley Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »

Neil,!!!,wow,what a wonderfull story BRILLIANTLY told👍
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:21:07 PM by dingdong » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal