Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Just registered with you!  (Read 7549 times)
cadzy

Legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus

« on: July 03, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

Hello there I have just registered with Detecting Wales as I am new to the metal detecting sport and would like to share my interests with people who share the same passion. My wife thinks Im mad and they are all calling me Indiana Jones where I work but im sure Indiana Jones found more than a new 5p piece 1 lump of lead ore, 2 lumps of smelted lead and a piece of Iron in his first 2 weeks.
    Even so I had great fun finding them and also got eaten to death by Nats! As I approached the farmers gates he shouted "I hope you got your insect repellant on! the midges are bitting this evening!"  I have spent around 20years of my life in lets just say outdoor pursuits activities so I just laughed and just told him " it will be ok... Im use to midges" ...... Well I have never seen so many midges! I look like ive got some kind of disease right now Shocked
   So anyway I am 32 years old and a father of 3. I work full time doing shift work so I dont get many weekends off. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 after watching endless reviews on detectors and decided that this one was best for the price. Im now getting use to the controls but have not found anything of any significance. Ive yet to go down to the beach and have a go but to tell the truth am much more interested in finding old coins etc... I have a unhealthy obsession with finding Roman coins it has been a dream of mine for years.
    My grandfather started me off just before he died and its only now Im getting into it. I remember him showing me a coin he had found from the 17th century and asking " I wonder how this coin ended up in the wall I found it in? Was it dropped by the wall maker or is there another story behind it?" Well anyway he left me two detectors bless his sole, a C-scope 440 and a Viking 5 both detectors are probably around 20 years old or more and I had a little go with the Viking 5 a few times but the depth on it wasnt great. Ive cut the body of it down now and my son who is 5 is happily using it with me when he comes.
   I live in Caerphilly town centre near Cardiff, and so far have done all my detecting in the Draethen, I should have access to lots of farm land in the Lisvane/Llanishen/Cefyn Onn areas and will be sorting that out soon. Does anyone know where the best places are to go? I have been doing some research and there has been Roman settlement in the Draethen Newport, also it states that there are Roman lead mines all over the Draethen (which I have seen and already explored) but when they were mining they were based in the Caephilly area near where the Castle is. Any advice will be much appreciated and oh before I forget how do I go about attending a rally.
Regards Cadzy.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:18:29 PM by cadzy » Logged
cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »

welcome mate, you will find this lot a really friendly bunch Grin

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

Hi Cadzy, great introduction mate!

I don't know the Caerphilly area very well but I'm sure someone will come along to help you.

As for attending DW rallies a post will appear from Admin stating when and where the next one will be held, put your name down on the sign-up list of people wanting to attend and the evening before the rally Admin will send you a Personal Message (PM) giving the exact location of the rally

Hope to see you soon, Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

One of the best intros I've seen written. Far better than mine "my name is Jon and I'm an alcoholic"...sorry that was a different occasion  Wink

I too started years ago and made a comeback...with limited results. Hope you have fun detecting and on this site too. Welcome.
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

Welcome to the site Cadzy,i`m sure you will get the info that you`ve asked for,everyone is so helpful & friendly on here,if you get stuck on anything at all just ask,don`t forget to post pic`s of your finds. The chat room is a good place to get to know people,it usually gets busy at around 10pm,it is also a good laugh. Are you a member of any tecting club?

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

Welcome to a friendly place....great intro....PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

welcome to the forum cadzy..... Wink...join in and have fun...lots of advice available on here...ask any question and you'll get an answer..... Grin...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
mel

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »

Hello and welcome, you,ve picked the right site to come on an excellent bunch of lads on here ........
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »

welcome to the site hope you enjoy it as i do

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 05:02:25 PM »

Welcome to the forum Cadzy ,

Well you've hit the ground running by the looks of it , You're detecting in the right area , and all the other areas you mentioned are full of history as well. Just get used to your machine now fella and you'll be fine.

Thats where Detecting Wales comes in. theres a wealth of machine knowledge on here , any questions you got just ask , theres always someone will know.

My advice to you is join a club as soon as you can, This forum, coupled with meeting up in a club once a fortnight, will really get you finding.

Best of luck , see you in chat

Rob.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »

HIYA  CADZY  AND  WELCOME TO THE SITE   HOPE  YOU  ENJOY IT AS MUCH  AS I DO   Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »

Welcome Cadzy. You will gain a wealth of knowledge and experience from the folks on here. Keep posting and a DW rally will soon arrive and you will meet some great people. Don,t forget to stick at it and the good finds will come and the advice on your machine from fellow members will be priceless. Good hunting mate.
hedgehog
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »

Hiya Cadzy that really is an introduction to shame the rest of us. Never mind the gnats ask Rob about horseflies!
Welcome to the site and persevere you have just started an addiction that will stay with you for life  Grin
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

Welcome Cadzy enjoy the site mate they are a friendlybunch on here Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Metal Mickey
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »

Hello Cadzy,

Welcome, i be a newbie to, i have only bin detecting for about 6 months after catching the bug, i have found a few things, nothing worth alot, but then thats not everything. I love being out in the fields rain or shine......MM

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal