Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Another NEWB!!  (Read 13945 times)
NEMESIS

« on: February 22, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »

Hi. Another here from S.WALES.  I have never been detecting and haven't got my tool yet.  I have sort of played with the idea of detecting for a few years and to be honest, I wish I had got involved  a few years ago.  I know nothing about M/D but determined to give it a go now.   I have been visiting this forum and others for the last few days and familiarizing myself with the DO's and DONT's and the legalities involved.
        I'm  hoping to pick up a cheap- Garrett 250 ace tomorrow (it seemed tooo cheap not to) but hoping to get a Minelab Sov or similar  as my main weapon within the next couple of weeks.
    Does anyone know what the nearest club to Bridgend area is plz and are they taking on any new members?
   Also, as I know nothing about detectors other than what Ive read so far, is there anything I need to look out for when purchasing  Sec/ Hand?  i.e  just cos it beeps it doesnt mean its working correctly, right Huh   Probably a stupid question that , but is there any foolproof way of checking?
         I look forward to having an active participation in this forum and wish to thank you in advance for any help/ advice ofered.
        Regards   Sheaghn.

matthewbullingham123

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum ! What type of detecting would you be doing beach or land? Smiley
NEMESIS

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »

Thnx mate.   
  A mixture of both but probably more beach.  I know the ace 250 doesnt work well in the wet sand but some say if I turn the sense down low I should get a bettter signal to a degree?Huh  to be honest I think the price was good so It will do or the brownstuff for now.
   I intend getting the minelab sov  for the surf  and if I take to it Ill probably upgrade to the eltac later. 
     Im 48 and been told by her indoors that I need to get out and exercise , so I thought...  lots of walking and lots of interest.. but nothing hardcore ..  Cheesy

TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »

hi nemesis , welcome aboard fella,youve come to the right place ,plenty of info on here just familiarise yourself and have a search around the site,you will find a lot of answers to your questions,and if not just ask theres plenty of members on here willing to help..good luck and happy hunting

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
150aceboy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »

Welcome to the forum m8  Wink
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:06:47 AM »

hi mate welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place , i myself were like you only last month i got my first detector, now i have 2 , you need a detector to suit your needs like said above do you want to use it on the beach ,do you want to use it in the wet sand or dry sand , or just inland,if all three then you wont go far wrong with a minelab detector ,there are others out there but 95% use minelabs so i guess they cant all be wrong
as you ask is there a sure fire way of checking a second hand detector is working well i guess the only way is to bury something and try it your self ,you can do an air test and put different metals in front of the coil and try that 
as for clubs i think there are clubs around bridgend as i have read about 1 although i cant think of the name it's to early lol ,im sure somebody will come along and tell you although i can tell you there is one in the rhondda which have a fortnightly meeting in trehafod and are always looking for new members if you would like more details let me know ,whatever you decide good luck mate and look forward to seeing you on the dw rallys Wink Wink

the mighty xp Deus
bristolminelab
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »

welcome  Wink
NEMESIS

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »

Thnx all for your welcomes and advice.
 Yeah JCB I think mine lab would be the way forward for me ( from what I researched solo far) but who knows, its early days yet and may change my mind. 
   I'll definitely join some club as the resources will be a must and also would love to go on some arranged Riggs.
    I got loads more questions but suppose this category is wrong place to post so will do so on other boards .
      Thnx again all.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »

welcome to the forum  Wink
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

Welcome to DW .com

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
deepersweeper

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »

hello and welcome to detecting wales Smiley

I'd rather be having a bad day out detecting,than a good day at work.
XP Deus,Garratt probe,Ws5
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »

welcome to the site enjoy it mr  Grin

NEMESIS

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »

Thank you all.   
    Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.   Smiley
NEMESIS

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

I actually picked up 2 Garret 250 ace's (immaculate, only used twice) , Brand new original Garrett pinpointer (never used), cd's. books and headphones for a steal yesterday.  so cant wait to get out and use them now.   Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal