Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting more depth on your Garrett Pro Pointer  (Read 7900 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

Hi guys - great post Peter - very interesting

I am going to buy one this week after harassing Rob, Ray and Geoff on my last outing all day for a loan of theirs! Grin

Who is the company we have a deal with for DW members and how much are they?

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »

it's detecniks neil and u pick it up for 10-% off list price -- around £75'ish

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

I wonder how many people we will see at the next rally with a coin sellotaped to their pointer.................... Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Junkman

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »

Erm, why would you want to increase the depth of your pinpointer?. The whole idea of the thing is to locate the target, not tell you it is where you already think it is.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Jeffc

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »

Can be useful when soil is difficult. Putting the spade in the wrong place can lead to a damaged recovery. I have a site which is full of stones a few inches down and knowing where the find is helps to decide how to excavate so the more info the better. I often have to dig out several close packed stones before getting a probe signal. The other advantage is that you know whether you have only a couple of inches to go rather then six!
I have tested with Chef's suggestion of putting the coin next to the battery and it certainly works in the house. Would be interested to know WHY it works!
Junkman

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »

The reason it works is the coin is adding to the mass of the target but not enough to trigger the response as you back it off a tad from registering on the probe.. The mass of the target combined with the mass of the coin suddenly makes the target a lot bigger when it tips the balance to fire the circuitary.

It's like setting the machine to have a 'hair trigger'

It's the same with a Threshold tone on a detector. The threshold 'pre loads' the circuitry so that a faint signal that ordinarily would not be enough to trigger the audio circuits just add that bit extra to the already primed threshold.

One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »

I know it was me that started this thread, but apparently there is a problem with this method, which is that the coin has to be repositioned each time the probe is switched on again. Therefore it is no use having a coin taped there permanently. I suppose you could have some sort of sliding collar to which the coin is attached.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

No as I said in my post if you pop a £ coin in the battery compartment it works OK. but as Junkman has pointed out, why do you want extra distance on a pinpointer.
Junkman

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »

I know it was me that started this thread, but apparently there is a problem with this method, which is that the coin has to be repositioned each time the probe is switched on again. Therefore it is no use having a coin taped there permanently. I suppose you could have some sort of sliding collar to which the coin is attached.

That would confirm my theory that it adds to the mass of the target. You are backing the coin away JUST below the point that it triggers a response and 'pre-loading' the machine. When you switch it on, it recognises the coin is there.

I still think this defeats the object of pinpointing. On both my R1 and T2, I set the pinpoint sensitivity as low as possible and that improves the pinpointing as it will only register when directly above the target, narrowing down the area.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal