Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Had a little fellow following me around detecting today !  (Read 1687 times)
hedgehog
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

Roll Eyes Got to the field that is free at the moment and he asked if he could come around the field with me detecting.
I thought that he would get fed up after a couple of hours and go home to his mum.
Well he followed me around asking questions , wanted a go on the detector but that didn't work out , he had steel toe capped boots on.
Every time I got a signal and dug out a clod his head was down by mine looking for the object, when it was out he would ask lots of questions.
I promised to find a coin for him and it's never taken so long to find a georgian copper, it was an irish halfpenny.
Then he wanted me to go over the other side of the field, he wanted me to find a silver one for him , so I agreed to give it a go.
Got over the other side had a decent signal and couldn't find the object, turned the clod over, nothing.
There was a bit of soil by his boots and he was saying "you can't leave it, you gotta find it" kids eh?
Anyway tried over by him and could see what it was so handed the clod of soil to him he opened it up and picked the object out and said "what's that then" (it was a short cross cut half of Richard/John/Henry) so I told him what it was, what it probably would have purchased and why it had been cut, kept my side of the bargain, told him that short cross coins don't come up very often but he could have it if he promised to look after it.

Got worse after that didn't it! I wasn't allowed to open the clod , had to pass them to him so that he could do it (thought he might cry if I didn't). Two hours later I told him I had had enough and was going home.
Well he had an assortment of finds in his pocket and had learned quite a bit about the odds and sods and I was impressed by his total concentration, excitement and willingness to learn, he asked me where the nearest detector shop was (I told him about a local C- scope stockist and said that they would have some very good starter machines.
He told me that he was having fish, mashed potato and baked beans for tea , I said that he could keep the finds and off he went happy as a sandboy!
Who was he?

One of the local Hard men (48yrs) with a voice like Billy goat gruff.
It was a surprisingly enjoyable afternoon and I think he is hooked!
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Hedgehog m8 that is brill story, you see dont matter what  this hobby interests everyone even if they never take up detecting, Grin. your sure that was not WALTONBASINMAN walking with you ha ha ,only joking Paul............. hedgehog that guy may want to be your new detecting partner Grin
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

As you know Kev I can,t go Saturday due to family stuff but As I am off for four days I thought I might go out one of the other days, Monday perhaps. Wrong !!!!!!! New doorframes, new window sills, shelving unit, Dado rails all to finish and when I have done that I am reliably informed that I can prepare the ground and build a firm base for our daughters new play house which I can then erect. Detecting whats that. Is it something people do to relax HuhHuhHuh?. One day soon I will have loads of time, until then happy hunting Hedgehog and Casa.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »

hey hedgehog    your lucky he dident give you the coin.....  and take the  tector insted bud   Grin Grin Grin Grin good story mate

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »

ha ha ha  what a good story hedgehog  lol.

the farmer where i found my axehead wants me to up in the school hols and take her 10 year old grandson out on the fields with me,  he had a cheapy for christmas,   so  that sould be fun  lol.   i'll carry a couple of coins in my pocket for him to find,

the kids on the beach in the summer can be a pain,  their diving down scooping sand out as soon as you get a signal,  don't their parents tell them not to talk to strangers these days,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal