Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swap/Sell 705  (Read 4307 times)
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

Looking to swap/sell my Minelab 705 (six months old) for system where there's less weight on my damaged shoulder. Something where there's a way of mounting the
control unit on a waist belt. I know we all have our preferences and don't have enough experience to be able to make an informed opinion as to what might be the
best option within the price range I can expect to get for my 705 but would like some opinions please.

*Looking for good depth as a lot of my permissions are pasture.
*Waterproof coil as I occasionally do like to go down the beach.
*Not too worried about a digital display so an audio only machine would be fine.

Cheers.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »

I can't believe you use an Etrac and are getting shot of the Xterra because of weight Grin Grin Grin It's one of the lightest machines you can get.
Seriously though Mike, reading what you requirements are then there is only one candidate which is once again a Sovereign and I would advise the ELITE which you can still pick up for around £400. Unfortunately we have reached the time of year where it's buyers market and 705's will sell for just shy of £400 but many are not even reaching £300 on ebay.
The problem you then have is that you have belt and braces, Etrac and Sov, both minelab, both multi frequency, both deep machines (I wouldn't like to call it on either) and both rubbish around iron and freshly ploughed soil.
It's never a good idea when choosing a second machine, for it to come from the same stable as the first, but to look at the weaknesses and try and fill those gaps.
So if I were in your shoes and looking at the options for belt mounted machines, then I would be looking at something like the XP GMP. Unfortunately it's rubbish on the beach and is never going to win against the minelab multi's on deep pasture, but where it does score is on hammered coins, fast around iron and is a killer on ploughed soil.
Sorry if I've done more confusing than helping but those are my views. Wink
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:42:10 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
ysbytymike

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »

No confusion Geoff. This is exactly the type of response I'm looking for.
I know what you mean about the weight of the e-trac (which is not that bad) compared to the Terra.  I can manage the weight for the first hour or so but by taking a painkiller about half an hour before the start, I can usually manage a full morning before it begins to hurt again.

I guess I'm looking for a machine where the only thing on the stick is the coil. I know their in the same vein so to speak but effectively I'll be keeping the e-trac type depth but in a lighter unit.
My wife who is quite slight, will hopefully will be able to use it as well. The etrac then can be used for those area's that need that type of machine.

Cheers

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

I know what you mean about the weight of the e-trac (which is not that bad) compared to the Terra. 

Now I'm getting confused, are you saying you find the Etrac lighter than the Xterra? The xterra is 1.3Kg and the Etrac is 2.16Kg?

One problem with the Xterra is that when they recloathed it, they fitted the 10"DD coil as standard when the machine was designed for the 9.5" Concentric (which is far lighter) also the coil mounting point is at the heal thus with the DD coil it makes the machine "toe heavy" which puts force on the elbow.
Many detectorists use the elliptical HF coil for this very reason. Two other things to check is the position of the armcup, too high and this will add stress and the length of the stem, too long and once again "stress".
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »

mike , why not swing with the other arm , it will take a bit of getting into but it will take all the weight off your damaged shoulder and you get to keep what you got which are both fine machines , simple sollution really mate

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »

hows about a GMAXX.....(note: not gmp!!)

and Geoff.....stop putting other peoples shoes on!! Grin.......

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
ysbytymike

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

I know what you mean about the weight of the e-trac (which is not that bad) compared to the Terra. 

Now I'm getting confused, are you saying you find the Etrac lighter than the Xterra? The xterra is 1.3Kg and the Etrac is 2.16Kg?

One problem with the Xterra is that when they recloathed it, they fitted the 10"DD coil as standard when the machine was designed for the 9.5" Concentric (which is far lighter) also the coil mounting point is at the heal thus with the DD coil it makes the machine "toe heavy" which puts force on the elbow.
Many detectorists use the elliptical HF coil for this very reason. Two other things to check is the position of the armcup, too high and this will add stress and the length of the stem, too long and once again "stress".

Cheesy Cheesy Sorry Geoff, worded that wrong. XTerra is certainly lighter but what I meant was the e-trac is not as heavy as most people make out.

Sitting and thinking about these obs and I'm wondering (as I'm not too fussed over a display) if it might be possible to take the display console off the terra stem and get a suitable hip bag for it
and run it from there with just audio?? That way I can play around with the stem length to see what works best.   "Mmm, I hate thinking it hurts"..

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

I think if you unplug the control box and weigh it you'll find it weighs very little, plus due to it being mounted close or on the balance point it has little effect. I assure you that the problem is in the coil.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal