Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it all that you wanted or more?  (Read 1907 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »

I was sat here thinking things over this afternoon, thinking back to how and why I started Detecting. And how my perception and knowledge of the hobby has changed  over the last 18 months.

I've always had a nagging urge to find treasure , all through my childhood but to be honest all I wanted to find when I started this amazing hobby last year was to find the old pennies with Brittania on - That was honestly the extent of my knowledge. I'd never heared of Hammered coinage , crotal bells, nobles and to be honest my historical knowledge of the different eras were simply , WW2 ,   Medieval, The Romans and Jesus  Roll Eyes , and the Cavemen....honestly Shocked , for god sake I thought the iron age was when we went mechanical  Grin.

The thing is the more we find - the more we learn, and instead of that little window slit of time we know about  (or at least I knew about) everthing suddenly unfolds to become an incredible, historical and multi layered picture. All we got to do is rub the dirt off it to reveal the whole story.

So what was your perception of detecting when you started and has your attitude changed since the bug bit?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »

I think like many who got the bug in the 90s
You bought a detector coz you wanted THE BIG ONE but i soon learnt just swinging a detecting wasn't the Cash cow i thought it was .
I wasn't very academic at school, i did everything in my power to avoid doing most of the time.
The only thing i enjoyed was social studies, History and geology

My Dad (god rest his soul) was an amuture historian  so all our holidays involved the past in one way or another.
I'm realistic now about my detecting,
detectorists have lived and died not finding the biggy and i,ll most likely end up the same but at least Ive found some good Genuine friends and found a bit of the past ;0)

Ive forgoten what the question was  Huh Huh Huh lol

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »

This should be a good thread Rob, what a good question.
Simple answer, more..so much more. I started over 30 years ago and like 99% of people (if they are honest) I had dreams of finding gold beyond my wildest dreams (a bit like Ray does), but I had always loved history and it didn't take long after finding everyday object such as old buckles and keys to feel that magic link between you and the last person to touch it, which is a feeling that sets the imagination free and keeps the enthusiasm alive.
It doesn't take much time to discover that if you want to find good sights then research is of great importance and it's this that brings with it a wealth of knowledge.
I think, baring the PC brigade, that the original dream of treasure still smoulders somewhere in the back of our minds and still makes the heart race whenever we think we have found the magic metal.
Just imagine If we could gather all the information that the members on DW.com have, into one book, now that is definitely one I would have on my shelf.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »

Its like this Geoff , someone wins a life changing amount of money several times a week on the lottery. You do not hear of life changing hoard finds several times a week. So anyone entering this hobby to get rich quick , save your money on an E trac and buy a £1100 lucky dip.  Wink

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

anybody entering this hobby as a get rich quick scheme needs there head looking at its hard work, covered in mud, ringing round farms,out all day, putting family life on hold,dissapointment and hopes,anybody entering this hobby needs a passion for history and that is it, i have many wonderfull coins and artifacts and when i showed a farmer my collection last week he said you have a collection potentially hundreds of pounds, and they are still here with me ,,,its all about the history ,,to hold something in your hand that was used by many  generations past ,,,,,,, that is priceless.......... 

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »

Very true and that's why figures state that there are 130,000 metal detectorists as they get the figures from the machines sold, whereas there are probably nearer 25,000 regular hobbyists, most fall by the wayside very quickly.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »

more fol the ones that drop out they are missing out on a wonderfull hobby as well as there national history...

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete