Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No recorded history  (Read 1993 times)
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« on: April 08, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »

I,m sure we,ve all encountered the lack of sites problem  Just because a piece of land as no recorded history  does,nt mean it devoid of finds in fact this can sometimes prove quite the opposite twenty years ago I found a small hoard of hammered silver dating from 1570 to 1640  about ten coins in total one James 1 halfcrown one Charles 1 halfcrown two James1 shillings the rest were Elizabeth 1 shiiings etc  at a fairly isolated  spot  if you have ignored sites in the past for this very reason have a rethink Roll Eyes Grin mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »

Very good point Mole. Locally in the Mid Wales borders where i live the finding of new sites has very much changed the history of the area. Many of the finds have been made by detectorists, myself included. Hedgehog will back this up at the Roman Fort of Castle Collen near Llandrindod Wells where the site of a vicus was not believed even though Steve had been finding stuff for ages. The archies took a lot of convincing. Hedgehog could tell you how much grief he had in this.
mole
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »

Hello there waltonbasin  Smiley you are quite right the best as yet to be found the arkies  are not the omniscient beings they think they are Grin I,d love to have a look around your way if i make the next rally I,ll come over to say hello my family as strong midwales connections llanidloes radnor etc :)mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »

Mole i am the most approachable chap on the planet. Will talk the hind legs of a centipede. Always willing and would love to meet you.   Grin Grin
mole
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »

YES : i,m looking forward to a good old chin wag  Grin without theother half so Ican get a word in for change in between stuffing myself with welshcakes  Grin got a vey sweet tooth the wife being a qualified chef /cook does,nt help ::mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

. Hedgehog will back this up at the Roman Fort of Castle Collen near Llandrindod Wells where the site of a vicus was not believed even though Steve had been finding stuff for ages. The archies took a lot of convincing. Hedgehog could tell you how much grief he had in this.
It all turned out right in the end, they looked at the site with ground radar equipment (which they got funding for because of the finds) but didn't tell me they were doing it, if they had I would have shown them where the temple was as well!
Because it was an extension of a site that had been previously scheduled, then they would not schedule the area (all new scheduled sites had to be previously unrecorded sites on "new ground" and that probably still applies.)
I will say that whoever set the scheduled area in the first place did a very poor job of it (many moons ago) and the line of the scheduled area only took in half of the bath house.
You would think with this in mind that finds would come out by the bucket full, but it wasn't the case, on average it would take about 4 hours of detecting to find anything Roman, the fields had been ploughed during the war and not touched since , so I would guess the majority of artefacts would be out of detecting depth!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal